#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Bigwormgraphix

Old 09-09-2020, 02:01 PM   #57
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost Creep View Post
I grew up in a world full of big blocks, not four bangers, so I love torque. Never understood the whole fascination with revving a car to the moon all the time. Drive at low rpm, race at high rpm.
Low rpm, low stress, long life. High rpm, high stress, short life.
That's the thing I find when I drive my Camaro. I find it easier to just lay back than I did in my RX-8. I can just tug it along in that low RPM range when cruising. The "nothing to prove" mentality also helps. I guess less engine stress translates to less stress on me as well.

I still like my RX-8 a lot but sometimes it does a little bit tiring to have it rev high to keep up with some of the more powerful family cars. With the Camaro SS I just need to lightly tap the throttle in daily driving.

That said, I still need to get used to the redline in the car. Have to realize that I can't rev to 7k+ RPM anymore. I kinda wish the Camaro has a centre tachometer, which makes reading it easier. The shift lights help in the more spirited drives.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 02:10 PM   #58
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost Creep View Post
I grew up in a world full of big blocks, not four bangers, so I love torque. Never understood the whole fascination with revving a car to the moon all the time. Drive at low rpm, race at high rpm.
Low rpm, low stress, long life. High rpm, high stress, short life.

Someone once said..."Horsepower sells cars, torque wins races."
I used to think like that, but now I prefer a higher revving motor.

If the motor has a great mechanical sound (E90 M3, GT3, GT4), it's glorious.

Now if the motor doesn't have a great mechanical sound and sounds like it is straining up top then I prefer a V8 or Turbo. But you combine a great mechanical sounding motor and high revs and its pure sex.

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 02:51 PM   #59
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
I kinda wish the Camaro has a centre tachometer, which makes reading it easier. The shift lights help in the more spirited drives.
Well it does, on the HUD.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 03:21 PM   #60
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
I also spent many years in a Turbo Buick (incognito GN) that revved to a whopping 5,400rpm.
Old 09-13-2020, 12:42 PM   #61
29er

Drives: 14 1LE Garage King
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC113 View Post
Man, what an idiot, does he even race? Who the heck would say that?

google it : ENZO FERRARI ...Enzo Ferrari was once quoted as saying "Horsepower sells cars, torque wins races". Obviously Mr. Ferrari believed that torque was most important of the two provided that both were present in sufficient amounts.
29er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 12:55 PM   #62
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 29er View Post
google it : ENZO FERRARI ...Enzo Ferrari was once quoted as saying "Horsepower sells cars, torque wins races". Obviously Mr. Ferrari believed that torque was most important of the two provided that both were present in sufficient amounts.
Enzo who? Never heard of him, sorry. Was he anyone important?

And what is this "google"? I don't speak baby-talk.
Old 09-13-2020, 05:42 PM   #63
Redlinez
Shifts under load

Drives: 2020 Camaro 1SS 1LE rally green
Gotta say, I'm glad to have a 2020 SS 1LE in rally green. Dig that GT350, but I will never pay MSRP for anything with wheels. Obviously the GT350 and others command it and do have great resale though.
Redlinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 05:51 PM   #64
Thill444

Drives: 2020 SS1LE Shadow Gray Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlinez View Post
Gotta say, I'm glad to have a 2020 SS 1LE in rally green. Dig that GT350, but I will never pay MSRP for anything with wheels. Obviously the GT350 and others command it and do have great resale though.
They were selling brand new GT350’s for $5-7k off MSRP in the Northeast last year into this year. Sales slowed once the GT500 was announced.
Thill444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 10:44 AM   #65
Tank22

Drives: 2020 Camaro ZL1 1LE
If you want to track a car, and many of us do... you should be aware the GT350 and GT350R's have had a significant number of engine failures... by that I mean parts exiting the block violently and leaving holes you can put your fist in. Most all failures have been on rapid decel from a high speed where the rods break and.... you know what happens from there. The early cars are really bad for this... the 19's seem to be holding up. But Buyer beware on the early ones.
Tank22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 01:18 PM   #66
1LEThumper

Drives: 2020 2SS 1LE
Not to sir the pot but most Ferrari's don't really make that much torque...the only reason they make the power they do is because they turn the RPM they do. Take a 632 cid big block and turn it 10,000 RPM and it will make a shit load of HP and TQ....but that is a different subject all together.

As for the Shelby's destroying themselves I haven't had a single issue with mine other than a stuck open thermostat. I don't bounce it off the limiter nor try and turn 8200 RPM every time I leave the garage with it. It would seem most of the issues come from a failed oil pump, similar to the early LT stuff in cracking gears. Most of the guys are blower guys that do it and almost everyone says do billet gears if you want to turn more RPM and/or run a blower.

The oil use issue...don't know on that. Could be rings, could be that plasma sprayed on liner...hard to say. Again I use more oil with the 1LE than I do the GT350.

Power is power is power....RPM is just a part of it and geared correctly it doesn't really matter what kind of RPM it makes so much as it has to make a lot of average power over the course of that range the car is geared for. That being said...higher RPM doesn't really mean it will live any longer either. You can (and we have at work) made LS engines turn 7500, 8500, 9500 RPM but it isn't cheap to do it, and I wouldn't expect them to last 100,000 miles. So I'm happy either way. The 1LE is a bit more fun stop light to stop light but yeah I like blasting on track with the GT350 too....they both share a special place in my eyes.
1LEThumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 01:38 PM   #67
Redlinez
Shifts under load

Drives: 2020 Camaro 1SS 1LE rally green
I used to work at a Ford dealer and have stayed in touch with one of my techs. He tells me all the time about 5.0 engine issues and I read about the Voodoo issues on the forums. We also have our share of LT1 engine issues as well, maybe not to the extent of the Coyotes though. They also have the garbage MT82 issues. I owned two, I know about those.
Redlinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 02:16 PM   #68
1LEThumper

Drives: 2020 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlinez View Post
I used to work at a Ford dealer and have stayed in touch with one of my techs. He tells me all the time about 5.0 engine issues and I read about the Voodoo issues on the forums. We also have our share of LT1 engine issues as well, maybe not to the extent of the Coyotes though. They also have the garbage MT82 issues. I owned two, I know about those.

yeah that MT82 trans is horrid from what I understand. Thankfully they didn't use that in the 350 cars.

I guess the same could be said for the LS7's as well. I daily drove my 08Z for 80k miles and tracked it, never had an issue. Read the Corvette forum and they die by the thousands weekly.
1LEThumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 03:00 PM   #69
TRZ06

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LEThumper View Post
Not to sir the pot but most Ferrari's don't really make that much torque...the only reason they make the power they do is because they turn the RPM they do. Take a 632 cid big block and turn it 10,000 RPM and it will make a shit load of HP and TQ....but that is a different subject all together.

As for the Shelby's destroying themselves I haven't had a single issue with mine other than a stuck open thermostat. I don't bounce it off the limiter nor try and turn 8200 RPM every time I leave the garage with it. It would seem most of the issues come from a failed oil pump, similar to the early LT stuff in cracking gears. Most of the guys are blower guys that do it and almost everyone says do billet gears if you want to turn more RPM and/or run a blower.

The oil use issue...don't know on that. Could be rings, could be that plasma sprayed on liner...hard to say. Again I use more oil with the 1LE than I do the GT350.

Power is power is power....RPM is just a part of it and geared correctly it doesn't really matter what kind of RPM it makes so much as it has to make a lot of average power over the course of that range the car is geared for. That being said...higher RPM doesn't really mean it will live any longer either. You can (and we have at work) made LS engines turn 7500, 8500, 9500 RPM but it isn't cheap to do it, and I wouldn't expect them to last 100,000 miles. So I'm happy either way. The 1LE is a bit more fun stop light to stop light but yeah I like blasting on track with the GT350 too....they both share a special place in my eyes.
Interesting on the oil usage on your 1LE. I have 25K miles now and have never had to add any oil. I get my oil changed whenever the oil life drops to 10% or below.

Granted, I don't track, but I don't baby my car on the street either.

Previous:
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
03' C5 Z06
Old 09-16-2020, 03:02 PM   #70
TRZ06

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LEThumper View Post
yeah that MT82 trans is horrid from what I understand. Thankfully they didn't use that in the 350 cars.

I guess the same could be said for the LS7's as well. I daily drove my 08Z for 80k miles and tracked it, never had an issue. Read the Corvette forum and they die by the thousands weekly.
I know that LS7 pain. My 09' Z06's motor went at 9K miles. GM bought it back. Very unfortunate too, the LS7 was an awesome motor besides the heads and exhaust valves issue.

Previous:
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
03' C5 Z06