Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Phastek Performance

Old 07-19-2020, 01:14 AM   #1
RobbyBeefcake87

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
P128f CEL

Interesting thing happened to me today. Car was properly warmed up and all things were as they should when I made some pulls. During one pull against a 5.0 I slept on the shift and hit the limiter and fuel cut at the top of 2nd, I got back in it with a perfect 3-4 shift, then slept on the shift again and hit limiter and fuel cut at the top of 4th.

At that point right at the fuel cut the car gave me the reduced power message. Pulled over and turned it off and back on and the reduced power was gone but it had a CEL. Looking through it nothing looked odd or sounded mechanically out of place. Didn't think anything was wrong but obviously nobody wants to see a CEL.

Even though the car was driving fine with nothing out of the ordinary, I didn't want to wait till the next day for the dealership to be open so I went to get the code read at Autozone (closest place at the time). Code was read but the scanner they have didn't give a description. I researched and found out that p128f is a fuel rail pressure code in GM engines. When I turned the car back on at Autozone the CEL was gone.

Drove around and it seemed fine, did a few test pulls and confirmed all was well. I've never hit rev limiter/fuel cut twice in one pull so I can't say but has anyone ever experienced anything like this? Seems the fuel pressure code p128f would perhaps make sense that scenario. EDIT: I see that p128f can also be in relation to air fuel metering and Manifold Absolute Pressure/Barometric Pressure Circuit High Input as well as Fuel Rail Pressure Sensors 1 and 2 Signals Message Counter Incorrect. Though the latter appears the most specific to modern GM engines.

In my defense I'd like to add that I hadn't driven the car in a week and had been driving the Miata a lot so I was a little rusty on my shifts lol.

Also of note, seemed the velossatech big mouth may have helped a little bit. Felt strong at the top of 4th pulling on my 5.0, which also saw some gains with resonator/muffler deletes and lighter wheels. Could all be in my head about the velossatech but it felt strong.

However I also wonder if the velossatech big mouth was feeding a little more air than the computer wanted to see at the top of 4th and at that kind of speed.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE - GM cai, black bowties, suede knee bolsters, 1le plate frame, black fuel door, dark tails + 3rd brake light, euro side markers + led's, GM all weather floor mats, velossatech big mouth, GM strut brace.
2017 Corvette Grandsport (sold) - untouched.
2006 GTO (sold) - iat relocation, air box mod, monero side marker lights.

Last edited by RobbyBeefcake87; 07-19-2020 at 01:29 AM.
RobbyBeefcake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 06:26 PM   #2
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
if you ran it into fuel cut, twice, id guess the sudden loss of fuel is what tripped the cel. it seems that airflow related issues on otherwise stock cars are present regardless of engine/vehicle speed.
Old 07-20-2020, 08:45 PM   #3
RobbyBeefcake87

Quote:
Originally Posted by s346k View Post
if you ran it into fuel cut, twice, id guess the sudden loss of fuel is what tripped the cel. it seems that airflow related issues on otherwise stock cars are present regardless of engine/vehicle speed.
Yea the car is fine and running strong. Went to the quarter mile the next day and posted my fastest trap speeds yet.

Must have gotten tripped up from the fuel cutoff. The demanded pressure did not add up with the actual pressure and it got tripped up and threw the code. I figured as much the whole time but was just wondering if anyone had ever had the same experience. I doubt too many have hit cutoff twice in the same pull though lol.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE - GM cai, black bowties, suede knee bolsters, 1le plate frame, black fuel door, dark tails + 3rd brake light, euro side markers + led's, GM all weather floor mats, velossatech big mouth, GM strut brace.
Old 07-21-2020, 12:53 AM   #4
s346k

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyBeefcake87 View Post
Yea the car is fine and running strong. Went to the quarter mile the next day and posted my fastest trap speeds yet.
good news. what did it run? weather similar to runs without the big mouth?
Old 07-21-2020, 01:00 PM   #5
RobbyBeefcake87

Quote:
good news. what did it run? weather similar to runs without the big mouth?
It ran 113.78 November 23 at 7:30pm-ish at Bradenton last year and it ran a 115.25 in Orlando at 3-4pm this past weekend (July). Don't know the DA so I may be taking out of my ass here but the 113 was nice cool nighttime weather and the 115 was hot as heck and sunny, I'm assuming the velossatech might have actually added 1mph.

I will also add that during my fuel cut run at the top of 4th up to 139/140 it felt pretty strong all the way, red line kind of caught me by surprise.

My et was embarrassing so I'll spare you the exact times lol. My 60 foot is just horrible. I can launch so much better on the street, at the strip it's a combo of bogging and spinning. I know I'll get it figured out but when you get 3 runs in 2 hours it's hard to make adjustments.
Old 07-22-2020, 01:17 AM   #6
s346k

ah ok. bradenton is the new atco. mine went 115, when stock, in indy. da was 2300ish, i think. i also think mine would've trapped more if it hadn't almost died off the line.
Old 07-22-2020, 01:15 PM   #7
RobbyBeefcake87

Quote:
ah ok. bradenton is the new atco. mine went 115, when stock, in indy. da was 2300ish, i think. i also think mine would've trapped more if it hadn't almost died off the line.
Same, dying off the line kills me... Bradenton is good but FL is just never gonna be the fastest place.
Old 07-22-2020, 02:34 PM   #8
s346k

trying to decide if i want to take a swing at the 12.0 daily driver class at sct this week, or not. if the track is prepped im a bit worried it'll be faster than that, i haven't gone back since it was stock. it picked up quite a bit from headers and ethanol.

also, i don't think there's enough tire left to do 3-4 more burnouts and make passes... gonna try and deal with that small snafu tomorrow.
Old 07-24-2020, 02:18 PM   #9
RobbyBeefcake87

Quote:
trying to decide if i want to take a swing at the 12.0 daily driver class at sct this week, or not. if the track is prepped im a bit worried it'll be faster than that, i haven't gone back since it was stock. it picked up quite a bit from headers and ethanol.

also, i don't think there's enough tire left to do 3-4 more burnouts and make passes... gonna try and deal with that small snafu tomorrow.
You should go for it. I did the 11.5 at FL2K a few years ago for shits and giggles and it was pretty fun.

You just have headers and E?
Old 07-25-2020, 01:05 AM   #10
s346k

yes. full exhaust, ported stock intake manifold and ethanol. stock tb, air box etc.

i'm going to tech in and do test n tune only. i'm not trying to be there all day again. plus i think (hope...) the car will be quicker than 12.0. the track will be well prepped and without tq management killing the 330 it should get out much better. i did manage to get a fresh set of sc3s on it today. it went 12.61@ 115 stock with a piss poor tqm laden launch.
Old 07-25-2020, 10:39 AM   #11
RobbyBeefcake87

Quote:
yes. full exhaust, ported stock intake manifold and ethanol. stock tb, air box etc.

i'm going to tech in and do test n tune only. i'm not trying to be there all day again. plus i think (hope...) the car will be quicker than 12.0. the track will be well prepped and without tq management killing the 330 it should get out much better. i did manage to get a fresh set of sc3s on it today. it went 12.61@ 115 stock with a piss poor tqm laden launch.
12.6 isn't too bad. I'm over here pushing a 12.8 because my 60 foots are 2.3's-2.5's lol.

I hear you on the all day part, I somehow qualified for the 2nd day and just no showed.
Old 07-26-2020, 12:35 AM   #12
17camaroSS

Drives: Chevy Camaro SS
Quote:

I was at Indy all day Friday for the no prep stuff. Wish I would’ve went Saturday too. I watched a few 6th gens run and it reminded why I don’t normally run at Indy lol. But it also made me wish I had the car back up and going, not waiting for heads lol.
17camaroSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 12:07 PM   #13
s346k

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17camaroSS View Post
I was at Indy all day Friday for the no prep stuff. Wish I would’ve went Saturday too. I watched a few 6th gens run and it reminded why I don’t normally run at Indy lol. But it also made me wish I had the car back up and going, not waiting for heads lol.
yeah i went friday and saturday both. i planned on running but there were 5x as many cars wanting to test on the prepped track. plus i spent the better part of the day with a buddy, ultimately cutting mufflers off his 19 gt. long day, i got up about this time yesterday haha.

i plan on going to muncie in a couple weeks, no prep so idk if i'll try to race or not. those goodyears aren't good for much without track prep. i want a set of those cheapass vms wheels but appatently they started making them out of unobtanium.