Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics

AWE Tuning

Old 06-29-2020, 01:37 AM   #1
LTjuan_16

Drives: 16’ m6 Ss
P0420/p0430 Permanent codes stumped

Hey yall,
I’ve been doing drive cycle after drive cycle to clear these only two codes I have left after long tubes install. My question is in hpt can I set the DTC to no error reported and leave the ses enabled box checked? Will that help or do nothing for me? I’ve set the tune back to stock and ran it for the last 300 miles and it’s done nothing. They are preventing me from passing emissions and I’ve searched the forums with no luck so any help I can get is much appreciated y’all thanks!

2016 Camaro SS
Kooks Longtube Headers with green cats
MBRP cat back
LTjuan_16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 08:08 PM   #2
GTO_Gregory

Drives: 2016 Camaro
Here's my two-cents.

1. In HPTuners VCM Scanner connect to the vehicle while running and look for errors. If any are listed, click on the little engine in the tool bar with the pop out label of "Diagnostics and Info." A small window will open with the DTC (fault(s) listed). Highlight the items and press the red X at the top of the menu. This will erase the fault and give you a blank slate. Scan again and see if you get the same faults. If you do, erase the faults again, then make the suggested change below to turn off the sensor.

2. Leaving a check in the box keeps the sensor enabled. Hence, it will report something.

3. If anything set the Error Mode item to "No MIL Light." This will turn off any "check engine" light from the fault.

4. Check the HPTuners forum to verify this, but you should be okay.

If Utah doesn't sniff your exhaust for carbons you should be okay.

MIL stands for Malfunction Indicator.

P0420 Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1)

p0430 Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 2)
2006 Quicksilver 6-speed GTO ERL LS3-430, All-Pro 285cc heads, 262/273 .758/.742 116+3 cam, Sheet-metal Intake, 70lb Siemens injectors, SLP, GMM Ripshifter, QA1 Coil-overs front and rear, nylon suspension bushings, Hotchkis, RPM Trans, SPEC twin clutch, SpinTech, Kooks 1 7/8 -2.0", BMR drive train, Kaaz 3.91, Lingenfelter CAI, Baer brakes, mini-tubs, E85.
GTO_Gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 10:07 PM   #3
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO_Gregory View Post
Here's my two-cents.

1. In HPTuners VCM Scanner connect to the vehicle while running and look for errors. If any are listed, click on the little engine in the tool bar with the pop out label of "Diagnostics and Info." A small window will open with the DTC (fault(s) listed). Highlight the items and press the red X at the top of the menu. This will erase the fault and give you a blank slate. Scan again and see if you get the same faults. If you do, erase the faults again, then make the suggested change below to turn off the sensor.

2. Leaving a check in the box keeps the sensor enabled. Hence, it will report something.

3. If anything set the Error Mode item to "No MIL Light." This will turn off any "check engine" light from the fault.

4. Check the HPTuners forum to verify this, but you should be okay.

If Utah doesn't sniff your exhaust for carbons you should be okay.

P0420 Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1)

p0430 Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 2)
If you uncheck the SES light, your monitors will never show ready. That’s how you fail in states that plug into your ALDL port. You have to leave it checked, but set the drop down menu to “No Error Reported”.

Permanent codes will not go away on ‘17-up cars unless you’ve fixed the problem. To avoid P0420/P0430, you must set those to “No Error Reported”... *BEFORE* you install the headers! Otherwise, the permanent codes will not go away, even with a full ECM write. You would have to reinstall the OEM cats, wait for the permanent codes to clear, then set it to “No Error Reported”, then reinstall the headers. If someone is more knowledgeable about this than me, please feel free to chime in. But living in a smog nazi state (MA) has taught me the hard way. Lol

My understanding is that 2016 cars can shut the codes off afterward and just do a full ECM write, and that will erase the permanent codes. But I cannot verify that as I have a ‘17.
Old 07-01-2020, 06:28 AM   #4
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO_Gregory View Post

MIL = Multifunction Indicator Lamp

(I suspect your brain was ahead of your typing and you skipped it without realizing.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 06:45 PM   #5
cmitchell17

Drives: 17 2SS, 8L90, Cam, Heads, E85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshinator99 View Post
If you uncheck the SES light, your monitors will never show ready. That’s how you fail in states that plug into your ALDL port. You have to leave it checked, but set the drop down menu to “No Error Reported”.

Permanent codes will not go away on ‘17-up cars unless you’ve fixed the problem. To avoid P0420/P0430, you must set those to “No Error Reported”... *BEFORE* you install the headers! Otherwise, the permanent codes will not go away, even with a full ECM write. You would have to reinstall the OEM cats, wait for the permanent codes to clear, then set it to “No Error Reported”, then reinstall the headers. If someone is more knowledgeable about this than me, please feel free to chime in. But living in a smog nazi state (MA) has taught me the hard way. Lol

My understanding is that 2016 cars can shut the codes off afterward and just do a full ECM write, and that will erase the permanent codes. But I cannot verify that as I have a ‘17.
Yeah I wish I would have thought about this before I installed my cam, but I didn't expect my cam to be as bad on unburnt hydrocarbons as it is, my guess is that it's just got too much overlap and let's too much unburnt fuel out the exhaust valve, but it still dosent make sense that after calculating my exhaust valve closing and even with my injection timing the injector should be spraying only after it's closed. So I guess it also could be poor combustion from having to much exhaust gas in the cylinder on the compression stroke that's interfering with complete combustion.
cmitchell17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 07:46 PM   #6
Joshinator99

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmitchell17 View Post
Yeah I wish I would have thought about this before I installed my cam, but I didn't expect my cam to be as bad on unburnt hydrocarbons as it is, my guess is that it's just got too much overlap and let's too much unburnt fuel out the exhaust valve, but it still dosent make sense that after calculating my exhaust valve closing and even with my injection timing the injector should be spraying only after it's closed. So I guess it also could be poor combustion from having to much exhaust gas in the cylinder on the compression stroke that's interfering with complete combustion.
What codes are you getting?
Old 07-09-2020, 03:25 PM   #7
cmitchell17

Quote:
What codes are you getting?
P0300 (pending) and P0420 (permanent), I need to adjust the misfire threshold table, I am thinking about just maxing it out below 1000 rpms, since in theory I should only have misfire trouble with my cam below 1000 rpms since thats the only place I can feel it run rough.
Old 07-17-2020, 06:40 PM   #8
Joshinator99

Quote:
P0300 (pending) and P0420 (permanent), I need to adjust the misfire threshold table, I am thinking about just maxing it out below 1000 rpms, since in theory I should only have misfire trouble with my cam below 1000 rpms since thats the only place I can feel it run rough.
The P0300 you should be able to get squared away, but with the P0420, I’m assuming you are running headers (and either catless or high flow cats)?
Old 07-17-2020, 08:03 PM   #9
cmitchell17

Quote:
The P0300 you should be able to get squared away, but with the P0420, I’m assuming you are running headers (and either catless or high flow cats)?
No headers just cam and heads, but I did drop a socket into the headers when I was putting in my cam and it started ratteling. So eventually I pulled the downpipe back out and got it out, but when looking down into the primary cat on the downpipe I could see the driver's side header was cracked. Maybe it was enough to cause the code to come up and maybe that why my unburnt fuel smell is so bad given that the cam I installed only has 4 degrees of overlap and is not that big 228/236?
Old 07-17-2020, 08:15 PM   #10
Joshinator99

Quote:
No headers just cam and heads, but I did drop a socket into the headers when I was putting in my cam and it started ratteling. So eventually I pulled the downpipe back out and got it out, but when looking down into the primary cat on the downpipe I could see the driver's side header was cracked. Maybe it was enough to cause the code to come up and maybe that why my unburnt fuel smell is so bad given that the cam I installed only has 4 degrees of overlap and is not that big 228/236?
Yeah, any exhaust leaks before the O2 sensor will introduce oxygen into the exhaust, causing the O2 to read lean making the engine dump in fuel in response.