Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > I4 Turbo LTG Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

AWE Tuning

Old 08-13-2019, 08:21 PM   #155
wookwook

Drives: 18 Camaro LS M6
hell yeah. I am really glad you seem to have nailed it.

I have been trying to figure out a work around for my mid pipe resonator. Ever since I got it ... I know its cutting into my starting line joy. It only really bothers me when I know I am lagging when it comes to the universal forum currency; ETs. But that's for another post. I am also really glad I was able to give you hopefully good advise on my experiences.

cheers!

wooks
wookwook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 02:50 PM   #156
zts1986
Account Suspended

Drives: 2019 Chevrolet Camaro 1LT 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by wookwook View Post
hell yeah. I am really glad you seem to have nailed it.

I have been trying to figure out a work around for my mid pipe resonator. Ever since I got it ... I know its cutting into my starting line joy. It only really bothers me when I know I am lagging when it comes to the universal forum currency; ETs. But that's for another post. I am also really glad I was able to give you hopefully good advise on my experiences.

cheers!

wooks
Cheers, man. One note of caution: I know that you are very sound-conscious and that's why you put the resonator on...the downpipe changes the sound of the car quite a bit. It's definitely noisier. I like it quite a bit.

Now the question is...what's next? After several runs the other day my turbocharger was glowing red. Wondering if the next step is an intercooler. Not sure I want to go through all that work, though...

Cosmetically, I want to add a spoiler and some gold/bronze 19" wheels. Wider in back than current. And add some performance tires.
zts1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 03:08 PM   #157
wookwook

yeah. i really fussy about the sound.

OK so I was giving a lift to a co worker and punched it in 2nd, he turns and says is it a 350? meaning cubic inches. That was pretty gratifying. I saidm yeah, I'm doing about 350 at the crank (just grabbing at the number that that made sense), its a 2 lt turbo. He was pretty impressed.

I mean the rasp was jsut too much. The mid pipe cuts that out completely and the 99.8 percent of car use is perfect for me. I am twisting my barine around thinking of something clever and I am pretty sure its going to involve getting a tig welder. LLL.

That and the tires. I have been tourturing my self about that. Save money and upgade the 18's or go to apex 19s and pilot pro etc... The only draw back with staggered wheels is you cant rotate them. Be careful of tramlining with wider tires. That can get annoying over time. we get the cool months so I don't worry too much over the boost just yet. I sent info to the local chevy guys to look up the SG3 suspention upgrade but havent heard back.
Old 08-14-2019, 04:17 PM   #158
zts1986
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by wookwook View Post
yeah. i really fussy about the sound.

OK so I was giving a lift to a co worker and punched it in 2nd, he turns and says is it a 350? meaning cubic inches. That was pretty gratifying. I saidm yeah, I'm doing about 350 at the crank (just grabbing at the number that that made sense), its a 2 lt turbo. He was pretty impressed.

I mean the rasp was jsut too much. The mid pipe cuts that out completely and the 99.8 percent of car use is perfect for me. I am twisting my barine around thinking of something clever and I am pretty sure its going to involve getting a tig welder. LLL.

That and the tires. I have been tourturing my self about that. Save money and upgade the 18's or go to apex 19s and pilot pro etc... The only draw back with staggered wheels is you cant rotate them. Be careful of tramlining with wider tires. That can get annoying over time. we get the cool months so I don't worry too much over the boost just yet. I sent info to the local chevy guys to look up the SG3 suspention upgrade but havent heard back.
You hit an important point there: the cool months. With all of the add-ons that I've put on this thing over the summer I cannot wait to get to October. Get me to those 55 degree days, 45 degree nights.
Old 08-17-2019, 01:48 PM   #159
JayRow52

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LS 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by zts1986 View Post
Cheers, man. One note of caution: I know that you are very sound-conscious and that's why you put the resonator on...the downpipe changes the sound of the car quite a bit. It's definitely noisier. I like it quite a bit.

Now the question is...what's next? After several runs the other day my turbocharger was glowing red. Wondering if the next step is an intercooler. Not sure I want to go through all that work, though...

Cosmetically, I want to add a spoiler and some gold/bronze 19" wheels. Wider in back than current. And add some performance tires.
Not to get too much further off topic, but ZTS I'd consider an aftermarket oil cooler either before or with the intercooler. If you're glowing red I bet your oil temps are getting pretty high. I hit 259* pretty regularly during track sessions and I'll be adding one this off season. For us non-1LE 2.0 owners the stock oil cooler is a liquid-to-liquid unit tying our oil and coolant temps together. A thermostatic mishimoto unit will hopefully help keep those temps down and add longevity to the turbo life without affecting engine warm up times (especially important for us living in four season climates).

To bring it back around, here's a good look at RaceChip and the process they go through in creating the tunes: https://youtu.be/9lhH7ygoxrU
Old 08-17-2019, 06:49 PM   #160
wookwook

These were the next auto play vids in my queue. Is this bad?

Name:  tutnre.PNG
Views: 769
Size:  260.7 KB
Old 08-19-2019, 09:58 AM   #161
zts1986
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayRow52 View Post
Not to get too much further off topic, but ZTS I'd consider an aftermarket oil cooler either before or with the intercooler. If you're glowing red I bet your oil temps are getting pretty high. I hit 259* pretty regularly during track sessions and I'll be adding one this off season. For us non-1LE 2.0 owners the stock oil cooler is a liquid-to-liquid unit tying our oil and coolant temps together. A thermostatic mishimoto unit will hopefully help keep those temps down and add longevity to the turbo life without affecting engine warm up times (especially important for us living in four season climates).

To bring it back around, here's a good look at RaceChip and the process they go through in creating the tunes: https://youtu.be/9lhH7ygoxrU
I've debated it and I'll continue to debate it through the remainder of 2019 and into Spring 2020. I think that I should be okay so long as I don't track it frequently. But who knows.
Old 09-11-2019, 03:16 PM   #162
JJ2218

Drives: 2019 Camaro 2.0 1LE
I just finished reading this thread, and this sounds like something I'm interested in. I have a 2019 1LE for autocrossing and would like to be able to change the setting based on environment (temp, gas quality, etc.). This is california though, and I struggle with mild engine pinging already on the stock tune.

A side question. How can RC make sure the tune is safe for intakes, since intakes slightly change the MAF readings?

For those who have this already, have you ran 91 octane E10?

Edit: one more question, is there an inexpensive way to log detonation?

Last edited by JJ2218; 09-11-2019 at 03:28 PM.
JJ2218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 03:45 PM   #163
wookwook

zts can maybe add info since the new gts.

someone has done some efuel, I gather its a split decision as to if a small amount that would reduce ping is viable long term w/o ecu work. I have used MMT with good results. See over the counter autozone additives.

last one, I do not know of any other real logging solution than hptuner or efi live. HPT for the reasonable cost is very complete, you only have to pay on the back end to deliver mods.

Welcome to the forum btw.
W.
Old 09-11-2019, 04:38 PM   #164
JJ2218

Thanks, I will check out those two logging options. Since fuel quality varies drastically in california, I want someway to log this. Almost all CA gas is E10 unfortunately.
Old 09-11-2019, 07:03 PM   #165
wookwook

im gonna jump in of Racechip, you can try and work with their support team to see if they would be on board with descaling your spark advance with the latest gts that is supposed to be remote tuneable before you buy but you know how large vendors can be - BUT- They have a no questions 30 day return policy which i have used and its true with no problems at all. I run the RS non tuneable version but I have 93 readily available and it works well I run it on 6 now a days full time with no issues. So you have nothing to lose really and the potential of a permanent solution for the knock situation which is not news.

I haven't spent the time on my logs to offer any definitive helps here because I m on to other avenues. at the lower select levels, it may actually reduce spark advance and end up solving itself. You get more aggressive remaps and spark advance up over setting 5, but under 4 is pretty tame. some more boost and less spark. It may be your recipe to get by on 91.

Also try the cooler plugs, there are older threads on here on that covered subject.

hope that helps.
Old 09-11-2019, 07:13 PM   #166
zts1986
Account Suspended

Mine runs great on 93e10. Have operated it in 90+ degree weather, hard, and haven’t had an issue. Maybe need some colder spark plugs?

Jason from JacFab ran his on 91e10, I believe. He just didn’t run it up to the max setting (kept it on 6 instead of 7).

Not sure about the intake. I believe that RaceChip claims that it’ll work with an intake, but mine is the stock box with a K&N filter.
Old 09-12-2019, 03:25 PM   #167
JJ2218

Ok, this sounds good. Especially the newer GTS version where they can modify the "tune" in some area specifically if I need it.

First off I will try to find the right wheels, but this may be next along with a recirculation valve.
Old 09-12-2019, 07:39 PM   #168
zts1986
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ2218 View Post
Ok, this sounds good. Especially the newer GTS version where they can modify the "tune" in some area specifically if I need it.

First off I will try to find the right wheels, but this may be next along with a recirculation valve.
I'm currently in search of wheels/tires. I cant put the power I've created to the ground effectively. I was set on 245/45R19s up front and 275/40R19s in back. 8.5" width up front (same as stock) and 10" in back. Not entirely sure yet. Have all fall and winter to think about it, though.