Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Bigwormgraphix

Old 02-06-2018, 09:24 AM   #29
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Just remember any of you guys that are thinking about putting a carbon fiber splitter on the car, the first time you hit it you won’t be able to repair it and match the weave, so they’re going to paint it black and it’s gonna look like every other spoiler ,and you lose the carbon fiber , yet you paid for it…

Carbon fiber has no place at all on the front end as a splitter on this car. Unless you like to throw your money away.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 10:11 AM   #30
mjk3888
"M1SS1LE"

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by nasbagoat View Post
is there a paint code for the satin black for the 1LE?
Old 02-06-2018, 10:43 AM   #31
nasbagoat

Drives: 17 SW 1LE
Not that is listed in the catalog

84116158 07.833 SPOILER, F/END (SATIN GRAPHITE) AJ37 (A1Y,MAH,MBC) 2017 - 2018 01 14A 1 6160A

AJ37- 1SS Coupe
A1Y- Performance Package SS
MAH- North American Marketing Area
nasbagoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 11:35 AM   #32
WhyUMad1LE

Drives: 17 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
Just remember any of you guys that are thinking about putting a carbon fiber splitter on the car, the first time you hit it you won’t be able to repair it and match the weave, so they’re going to paint it black and it’s gonna look like every other spoiler ,and you lose the carbon fiber , yet you paid for it…

Carbon fiber has no place at all on the front end as a splitter on this car. Unless you like to throw your money away.
Isn't it lighter?
WhyUMad1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 04:04 PM   #33
PolynesianPowerhouse
Big Samoan ina little car

Drives: 2016 camaro
Mark another one down.... had a private meeting with a farm cat. a thin aluminum plate and some black T-Rex Tape and I barely even notice it.

Quote:

definitely agree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyUMad1LE View Post
Isn't it lighter?
its lighter, but is seems most of the composite air dam offerings don't have a flat bottom either. that in itself can be questionable when it comes to function.

a splitter is supposed to be a flat plate that extends 2-3 inches from the front bumper.

the chin spoilers or air dams (oem GM and aftermarket) mostly direct air in and around the bumper.

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant
PolynesianPowerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 01:52 AM   #34
FairyDust
KURMEE

Drives: 2017 Krypton Green 1LE
I quite like the ACS composite front splitter range. Especially the ZL1 option with the side Dams, looks bigger and meaner and more aggressive . So it should be tougher being a solid composite. But I would be concerned that ZL1 splitter would mess with the balance of the 1LE aero. By putting more front down force, when it was clearly not designed for that splitter. I saw some German reviewer put it on his SS and said there was a noticeable difference, more front downforce and stiffer steering. Has anyone else installed a ZL1 splitter on a 1LE and track tested it?

https://acscomposite.com/products/ge...17-ss-aeropack
Old 02-07-2018, 09:30 AM   #35
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
People think carbon fiber is the 3x weave that's used for aesthetic purposes in many applications. Unidirectional is what's used for maximum strength and in many cases they put a finishing layer on the top only for aesthetics. Most of the carbon fiber stuff in car's interior is just for aesthetic purposes. Lots of places can repair carbon fiber these days too, lay down new layers, sand, finish, repaint.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 08:42 PM   #36
Cgocifer

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE, 2015 RAM Ecodiesel
Wow, what a POS! I had no idea they were so cheesy. Good god, yet another thing to worry about. I bought this car because I wanted a car to drive frequently and have to worry so much about vs. my preciius show cars. Oh well, drive it, just it up, fix and replace, repeat I guess. Ya think they would have made it from something like ABS with a little more flex and forgiveness.
Cgocifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 10:30 PM   #37
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
They work fine...try another computer
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 10:09 AM   #38
Dave-ROR

Drives: A few
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyUMad1LE View Post
Isn't it lighter?
Dry carbon might be. Most wet layup carbon (all the cheaper/normal stuff) is heavier than the same piece in fiberglass, which is likely heavier than the thin cheap plastic version that comes on the car.
HPDE/DD: 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE || HPDE/DD: 2015 Subaru BRZ ||Tow Vehicle: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 8.1L || Weekend toy: 1994 MR2 Turbo || The other weekend toy: 1993 MR2 Turbo || Track car: 1998 Integra Type-R || Race car: 1996 Integra GS-R || New race car build: 1992 Honda Civic Hatchback

Too many cars.. never.
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 12:26 PM   #39
Cgocifer

Quote:
They work fine...try another computer
I deleted my post because I did just that. Needed a plugin.

Good info!
Old 02-10-2018, 12:28 PM   #40
Cgocifer

I guess Chevy has to cut costs somewhere to sell such an awesome performing car for so cheap.
Old 02-10-2018, 03:35 PM   #41
ClaunchOfficial

Drives: 2024 SS 1LE
Something need to break away. It could be a little more durable but if they were too rigid we'd be replacing bumper covers as well as splitter on incidents with solid impact.
ClaunchOfficial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 02:53 AM   #42
cdrptrks

Drives: 2017 Blue Camaro 1SS 1LE with PDR
I learned that it is definitely fragile. I think it was a piece of a blown out tire on the highway that blended in perfectly with the fresh asphalt...made a terrible noise so I immediately suspected there would be damage.

Does anyone know if the stock ZL1 splitter has the same mounting points and shape to fit the SS 1LE front bumper? It is only about $130. Part number is 84176917.
cdrptrks is offline   Reply With Quote