Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 04-29-2019, 11:20 AM   #1
L78toLT1

Drives: Hyper Blue 2016 2SS 6M
TPMS Issue

I picked up some ZL1 takeoff’s a while back and finally got around to mounting them last weekend. Man, the wider/stickier tires make a world of difference!
My only issue with the new wheels & tires is the TPMS monitoring system. I cannot get the new wheels talking to the car using my handheld TPMS reset device. I know the device works because I used it when I swapped out my original 5 spoke wheels for some split spoke take-offs a year or so back. I have also reset the TPMS after rotating tires from side to side without issue.
I am 99% sure the TPMS sensors in the new wheels are good. Wheels came off of an ’18 ZL1. Tires are still nearly new. The chances of all 4 sensors being bad seems extremely remote.
I can’t imagine there is anything unique about the ZL1 wheels that would not allow them to be linked to a SS. Does anyone have any advice/suggestions?
2016 Hyper Blue 2SS/6m/MRC/NPP/Silver Rally stripes/ZL1 wheels & brakes/GForce DS and axles/ZLE Cradle Bushings/FE4 ARB front & rear/SEMA Grill/Rotofab dry/95mm TB/Magnuson 2300/Full LT4 fuel system/JMS boost-a-pump/E85 Sensor/Ported CID heads from LME/Cammotion PD cam/Thompson Motorsports forged shortblock/catted Kooks 1 7/8 headers /JRE remote tuned
L78toLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 11:59 AM   #2
Move_Over

Drives: ISO ss 1le
Depending on the year the TPMS frequency may have changed. Also, how are you using the reset tool, i have found that mine is picky and I have to be JUST above the TPMS sensor on the sidewall, not on the tire tread.
Move_Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 12:00 PM   #3
VinnAY
Account Suspended

Drives: 18 1SS/1LE
Can you tell from the outside if sensors are installed? Assuming someone didn't muck with it because it's an 18 might be a flawed assumption. Maybe try a disco and reconnect on the battery?
VinnAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 12:27 PM   #4
L78toLT1

Drives: Hyper Blue 2016 2SS 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Move_Over View Post
Depending on the year the TPMS frequency may have changed. Also, how are you using the reset tool, i have found that mine is picky and I have to be JUST above the TPMS sensor on the sidewall, not on the tire tread.
I tried placing the reset tool in contact with the tire, just above, and a foot or so above. I will try disconnecting the battery this evening.
Regarding the frequency change, I suppose that is possible, however, I dug back thru my Private Messages to find the thread pertaining to the split spoke take offs that I bought. They were off of a '17.
2016 Hyper Blue 2SS/6m/MRC/NPP/Silver Rally stripes/ZL1 wheels & brakes/GForce DS and axles/ZLE Cradle Bushings/FE4 ARB front & rear/SEMA Grill/Rotofab dry/95mm TB/Magnuson 2300/Full LT4 fuel system/JMS boost-a-pump/E85 Sensor/Ported CID heads from LME/Cammotion PD cam/Thompson Motorsports forged shortblock/catted Kooks 1 7/8 headers /JRE remote tuned
L78toLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote