#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Phastek Performance

Old 04-15-2019, 01:04 PM   #71
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRKS1D3 View Post
The majority of vehicles are getting smaller and you CANNOT shoehorn a V8 into them. Turbocharging a smaller cubed engine is the most logical option.
Agreed. Chevy needs to stop clinging to their faded vestiges of glory, and compete with modern themes.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 01:26 PM   #72
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Modern themes have more to do with overbearing government than what is best for the car. If the LTx still works, use it.
Old 04-15-2019, 01:39 PM   #73
RLHMARINES
1st Civ. Div.

Drives: Camaroless for now...RIP "Big SexZ"
I'm in the market for another sports car and a Camaro is my natural choice again but I'm going to wait and see what the revealed C8 looks like before possibly making my last new sports car purchase. C8 Grand Sport/Z06 or Zl1 1LE?

I bleed bow tie blue in my veins which I inherited from my father and uncles but I respect all of them for what it's worth.
Old 04-15-2019, 04:47 PM   #74
h422694

Drives: '16 Z06 7 Spd, 2024 High Country HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
I also heard a rumor the date on the door also represents the C8's Nurburgring time (7:18.19). If true, that is VERY impressive for the 'base' model C8.
The date , 7/18/19, was confirmed by Chevrolet on Apr 11th or 12th as the reveal date. It's not a lap time at the 'Ring'.
h422694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 06:16 PM   #75
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by h422694 View Post
The date , 7/18/19, was confirmed by Chevrolet on Apr 11th or 12th as the reveal date. It's not a lap time at the 'Ring'.
I think he's saying that it could be both the reveal date and a lap time, not just the date. Personally, I'd bet against that being the case but it wouldn't be impossible.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 06:49 PM   #76
Iron Lung Jimmy

Drives: Iron Lung, Jimmy
Since when has the Corvette ever been this affordable car people here are talking about?

There is a reason mostly old guys buy Corvettes - they can finally afford one.
Iron Lung Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 09:22 PM   #77
PYROLYSIS
Remember the Charleston 9

Drives: 2004 KME PREDATOR, 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetRage320 View Post
I do not understand all of the negativity on this thread.

I applaud GM for continuing to try and evolve their sports car platforms. They have DRASTICALLY improved the Camaro with beasts like the ZL1 1LE. If they were to keep the Corvette as a front engine muscle car at some point the Camaro and Corvette overlap, at that point there is not a need for both.

I like the look of the C8, and the fact GM engineers are working to make sure the Vette does not suffer the same fate as the Viper.
Agreed, and what does this now allow the Camaro to become? The Camaro can stay in its current configuration and not even come close to worrying about approaching Corvette performance territory while still raising the bar tremendously. If they nail the exterior styling on the C8 it won't take long for the naysayers to crawl back into hiding.
Old 04-15-2019, 09:55 PM   #78
AZCamaroFan
Camaro6 2016-2018

Drives: sometimes
it doesn't seem like the Camaro team has been held back as far as i'm concerned. Even in past decades it was really only the lack of IRS that held it back.

and the 2SS i believe has more equipment than the 1LT Corvette.
Old 04-15-2019, 11:45 PM   #79
Silveradoss573

Drives: Camaro 1LE
Not quite sure what to think yet but I'm having fun reading all the opinions and comments...
Silveradoss573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 09:08 AM   #80
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
Modern themes have more to do with overbearing government than what is best for the car. If the LTx still works, use it.
I don't necessarily disagree with you either. It has been told to the buying public that smaller, more fuel efficient engines and alternative fuels are better for the environment. I can buy some of that, but if the v8 engine is so "bad" then why are car companies still producing it? Why are some enthusiasts demanding a v8?

I'll say this: I'm all for alternative engines, fuels, etc., but when it comes to serious money being asked for an automobile, I tend to go with my exact wants. In general, if a car is stickering for $40k and above, I'd prefer a v8 engine and some goodies. There are a few nice automobiles that happen to be expensive, but at a price range that's out of my reach I'm going for a v8 engine, whether its in a pick-up, a Camaro or corvette or even something that I normally wouldn't be able to afford.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 09:33 AM   #81
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Lung Jimmy View Post
Since when has the Corvette ever been this affordable car people here are talking about?

There is a reason mostly old guys buy Corvettes - they can finally afford one.
I bought my '17 Grand Sport at 37. I don't think that is old. When you bust your balls in school and land a great job, anything is possible. And yes, the car is affordable, especially when the C7 was engineered to vanquish competitors costing 2-3 times as much.

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 09:44 AM   #82
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
Quote:
I bought my '17 Grand Sport at 37. I don't think that is old. When you bust your balls in school and land a great job, anything is possible. And yes, the car is affordable, especially when the C7 was engineered to vanquish competitors costing 2-3 times as much.
There are rules and there are exceptions. He did say "most".
Old 04-16-2019, 10:01 AM   #83
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMansCamaro View Post
There are rules and there are exceptions. He did say "most".
I'll give him that. He used "most", which is not an absolute. And "affordable" is subjective. At $75-80k, the Grand Sport is a bargain. If someone has the finances, it's price is way less than it's competitors.

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 03:15 PM   #84
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
Quote:

GM has to keep the C8 obtainable to a lot of people. Sure, $55k isn't a drop in the bucket to most folks, but if GM prices the entry level C8 at $75k, that's a huge jump and you're going to alienate a lot of customers looking to enter into "The Realm of Corvette" for the first time. IMHO, keeping the Corvette reasonable, means implementing no more than a $5-6k jump in price from the current trim levels. A stripped-down, entry level C8 should cost no more than ~$60-62k.
Porsche philosophy is an Entry Level 911 is a Used one!
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote