Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 05-10-2018, 07:02 PM   #1
P.O.S.T.IX

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS Fifty 6 Speed
2SS Engine Failure

Hey guys, I am the proud owner of a Fifty edition 2ss stick shift, but i obnly had the car for 3 months, and 2000 miles. I bought it CPO with 5500 on the odometer from a Chevy dealer.

The motor spun a bearing and was so violent that it damaged the block to the point of needing to replace the whole motor, and that is the resolution I wanted. When the motor crapped itself, I checked the oil and there was nothing on the dip stick. I have read up on the forums here and one thing i see is that the Camaro with the 6.2 takes 10qt vs the corvette with the same motor only takes 7qt. From what I understand, the oil pumps are different, and the extra 3 qt is really only needed when "racing". Would anyone be able to fill me in on if I am correct in my understanding of this.

IF NOT, how could I be so low on oil, that it does not register on the dip stick, and the dash still show normal oil temp, and pressure.

Lastly now that the special edition Camaro I went out of my way to buy is going to be at a dealership for 2+ weeks, and take a hit in value due to the mismatched serial numbers what would you guys suggest I go to GM asking for, given this level of failure should not be happening to a performance car.

Sorry that it is so all over the place, the dealership called me in the middle of writing this saying the have to replace the motor due to cylinder wall damage, and i was writing about how to convince GM corp to drop a new motor without telling them I can tell the dealership i bought it from probably messed up the oil change and that the block will have micro fissures and thermal stress from this. I am a mechanical engineer, and have a degree in physics also so i could pull a lot of science out of my ass to compound my knowledge of cars that i have been playing dumb with.
P.O.S.T.IX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 07:26 PM   #2
Gunmetalmissle

Drives: 16 ngm ss
Sorry for your troubles. I do not think the motor has any matching number to the body.

Check the dipstick after trusting anyone else to perform an oil change.
Gunmetalmissle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 08:32 PM   #3
trohde78

Drives: '17 Red Hot 2SS 6MT
If I'm not mistaken, the dipstick only reads a quart of oil. So, if you have less than 9qts. it will be dry.
trohde78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 08:35 PM   #4
P.O.S.T.IX

Thats exactly what i suspect that i was somewhere between the min reading, i expect to be about 9qt and 7qt that the car should be able to run on, but lets be real, its a v8, im gonna put the pedal down and my understanding is that it is fine with as little as 7qt if you arent giving it hell
Old 05-10-2018, 09:05 PM   #5
ChevyRules

Drives: 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
I never heard of this 10 quarts is if you're racing thing. The manual calls for 10 quarts, so it needs 10 quarts.

If it had less than 9 quarts, either the engine burned it or the dealer messed up and put less than 9 quarts when they changed the oil.
ChevyRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 09:09 PM   #6
STYLO LT1

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS Vert.
Sorry for your troubles. I’ve been down a similar path with my dealership, only it didn’t involve the engine. Thank God. I still feel your pain though. Let them replace the engine which they appear to agree is due to premature failure. Have a sit down meeting with the service manager and let him know about your disappointment and worries. Document everything. And if I were you I would surely demand something in return for your trouble. Like several monthly payments on their dime, or something along that line. Don’t feel any shame doing so either.
STYLO LT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 05:00 PM   #7
Nsxmatt
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro
I’ll tell you right now you’ll not get anything extra besides maybe a couple of free oil changes for your trouble. Warranty only covers repairs not diminished value or anything else. There may be no way of knowing what caused your engine failure but to lose oil pressure enough to starve a bearing you’d have the dummy light on in the cluster.
Nsxmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 05:46 PM   #8
WhiteNight

Drives: MB 1SS
Welcome to the spun bearing club. Unfortunately I got a rebuild that took three engine pulls and 5 extra other visits with a total of 6 months to get right. Get a lemon lawyer involved, GM may throw some money at you if this takes a while.
WhiteNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 07:55 AM   #9
P.O.S.T.IX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyRules View Post
I never heard of this 10 quarts is if you're racing thing. The manual calls for 10 quarts, so it needs 10 quarts.

If it had less than 9 quarts, either the engine burned it or the dealer messed up and put less than 9 quarts when they changed the oil.

I got this from the type of oil pump, it's s submerged pump, and 7qt is enough to do that, unless you have a hard breaking or acceleration, the fluid shift and is no longer submerging the pump. Where as the same set up in the Corvette calls for an unsubmerged pump and is fine at 7qt.

I am just pulling this from another thread I read, before my account was verified and I could comment on it
Old 05-19-2018, 08:07 AM   #10
P.O.S.T.IX

I really don't know ow if I should air my grievance to the dealership it's getting fixed at, my local dealer; the dealer I bought it from 2 hours away, or to corporate, I already started a case with corporate when they weren't sure if they would replace the motor.

As for it taking 6 months and repeated visits, if it goes that way, I will definitely involve a lemon lawyer as I have only had the car 3 moths and 2000 miles, but there is no way I will keep it then, I can't have something breaking down all the time as my daily because my alternate is a motorcycle, and I k ow for a fact sjits and Enduro bikes do not forget well together
Old 05-19-2018, 08:12 AM   #11
P.O.S.T.IX

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteNight View Post
Welcome to the spun bearing club. Unfortunately I got a rebuild that took three engine pulls and 5 extra other visits with a total of 6 months to get right. Get a lemon lawyer involved, GM may throw some money at you if this takes a while.
Are spun bearings really that common of an issue, I spent a good couple weeks before buying it trying to see if there were common issues like this, and the only things I found outside of the once in a while unfortunate sole like me was exhaust rattling
Old 05-19-2018, 08:36 AM   #12
WhiteNight

Drives: MB 1SS
From what I have seen the failures are either spun bearings or lifters.
WhiteNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 11:16 AM   #13
jaysonstuart

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
The thing you have to consider about researching engine failures is that you're never going to read about the thousands of cars that have never had an issue.

When the engine fails folks like to vent/share their experience on forums to get advice from fellow owners and to see if they're not the only one.

I've read this board daily since 2012 when I bought my 5th gen and I can tell you that engine failures are rare.

It does suck dealing with what you're going through and I hope GM takes care of you man.
jaysonstuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 11:57 AM   #14
Nsxmatt
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysonstuart View Post
The thing you have to consider about researching engine failures is that you're never going to read about the thousands of cars that have never had an issue.
I mean that is kinda common sense. Of course nobody is going to make a post saying "hey 10k miles and motor isn't blown!". The Camaro6 forum is a very very small percentage of owners, I'd say less that 1%. So i'm sure there are many other engine failures nobody here will ever know about because lots of people don't use forums or groups online.
Nsxmatt is offline   Reply With Quote