Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 04-26-2018, 04:26 PM   #43
danhr
BAMF SS

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS A8
Send a message via AIM to danhr
*outsources almost the entire manufacturing industry out of the country, to make better profit margins.

"These young whipper snappers are a disgrace... They won't buy American made products."
danhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 04:29 PM   #44
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navigator View Post
it's puzzling that the niche Mustang survives these cuts.
Well, if you want some background as to how important and powerful the "halo effect" really is, read on. I apologize, as the second article is a bit in the academic vein, but does get into the interesting angles of why people pay so much for a Prius. To be honest, your post made me curious about the whole thing myself!
https://www.popularmechanics.com/car...yway-12206624/
https://oppositelock.kinja.com/do-ha...ify-1572174281
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 04:35 PM   #45
SS376

Drives: 2013 1SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MackSteelPrivateEye View Post
America is dying in general...there is a whole new generation that just hates America and its products and it abilility to succeed. They will put their money on any product as long as its not American made.
I think this is an over-generalization. It's true that in some areas you can't give American cars away, but mostly people are just pragmatic. As in the 70's and 80's when domestic quality control was no good and buyers got turned off and went Japanese, the same will happen now if GM doesn't find it's footing again regarding reliability issues.
SS376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 04:44 PM   #46
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMadeYouReadThis View Post
I didn't know there was a potential replacement for the F body platform back in 2002. I love those F bodies in my opinion they truly were the last of the muscle cars. so much fun to drive so old school no nannies just pure car
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyRules
The only possible platform that could have been used was Sigma I. But it might have been too expensive for Camaro/Firebird use.
Sigma was technically a potential but not from a business case perspective. The capacity for Sigma was all spoken for before the decision to discontinue Camaro. Between CTS, STS, and SRX and other products that were in the product plan then but never actually made it to market, Sigma was, at least in "Planning-speak" fully subscribed. Add to that the fact that it was for that time too expensive a platform for Camaro.....

What was a potential for Camaro, and eventually came to fruition, was Zeta. But at that time there was no interest in localizing a new platform, so the cars would have had to come from Australia. And there were significant limitations on volume that could be shipped in from Australia. Pontiac GTO and Chevy SS were restricted volume vehicles.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 04:55 PM   #47
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navigator View Post
In 2017 Ford sold 82,000 Mustangs compared to 210,000 Fusions and 160,000 Focuses (Foci?). Not sure how the profit per car differs, but from a pure sales volume standpoint, it's puzzling that the niche Mustang survives these cuts.
You have to look at each market segment and then overlay profitability.

82,000 Mustangs in a market segment that sells 300 - 400,000 a year with decent profit margins is better than 210,000 Fusions in a market segment that sells 2.5 - 3.0 million at razor thin profit margins. Especially when that market is shrinking in favor of a very clear substitute (small and mid-sized CUVs) that have significantly higher profit margins. Not making 210,000 Fusions will likely allow them to make 190,000 of another vehicle that they can sell for more $/vehicle. Not making 82,000 Mustangs will result in 50,000 more Camaro sales and 32,000 more Challenger / Charger sales.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 04:57 PM   #48
ChefBorOzzy

Drives: 2016 F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeEyeSS View Post
There is thread here about pulling panels and putting felt tape to stop rattles. I drove 6 6th gen Camaros and EVERY one rattled around the door or center screen. My built in USA Mazda did not have a rattle for years. My 70%+ made in USA Accord, assembled in the USA, is 2.5 years old, driven daily and on vacation, and has ZERO rattles. The Camry is basically designed just for the American market

Just because the badge originated from a foreign country doesn't mean it doesn't support a ton of American workers. GM is looking to slowly transitioning to building in China and shipping here, while Mazda and Toyota are having a joint venture to build a massive new factory in the USA. Everything is going backwards, "buying American" isn't what it used to be
I've driven 3 Camaros and not a single one had rattles.. What's funny is I've been eyeing 2015ish Accords and have read plenty of consumer reviews of rattles.. YMWV
ChefBorOzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 05:10 PM   #49
Navigator

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrlz View Post
Well, if you want some background as to how important and powerful the "halo effect" really is, read on. I apologize, as the second article is a bit in the academic vein, but does get into the interesting angles of why people pay so much for a Prius.
Thank you. This raises the question of why the Ford GT couldn't serve as the halo car. Perhaps the halo car has to be more accessible and affordable to work? I wonder if the NSX is really working for Acura or the LFA is working for Lexus.

If Chevy goes this route, there's no doubt the halo car would be the Corvette.
Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 05:12 PM   #50
Spanky1

Drives: 2017 2SS Summit White Camaro M6
I'd like to add that my 2017 2SS also has no rattles or problems!
Spanky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 06:33 PM   #51
DavidinGA
Tread Marks

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue Camaro 2SS
The reality is a sports car will never be practical or a wise purchase if it's your only vehicle, and I think that has a huge impact on sales across the board. Why buy a tiny car that goes fast versus one that seats 5+ comfortably, gets better mileage and hauls a ton more stuff with room to spare?

Young people have lost interest in fun cars as a whole I think...

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
DavidinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 08:01 PM   #52
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
Sigma was technically a potential but not from a business case perspective. The capacity for Sigma was all spoken for before the decision to discontinue Camaro. Between CTS, STS, and SRX and other products that were in the product plan then but never actually made it to market, Sigma was, at least in "Planning-speak" fully subscribed. Add to that the fact that it was for that time too expensive a platform for Camaro.....

What was a potential for Camaro, and eventually came to fruition, was Zeta. But at that time there was no interest in localizing a new platform, so the cars would have had to come from Australia. And there were significant limitations on volume that could be shipped in from Australia. Pontiac GTO and Chevy SS were restricted volume vehicles.
As I recall Sigma started as the F car replacement. I remember seeing the tape drawings on the wall with an "oh, by the way we can also do a performance sedan off of this architecture" tape drawing on the other wall. Never happened but the CTS did.
Old 04-26-2018, 08:10 PM   #53
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
As I recall Sigma started as the F car replacement. I remember seeing the tape drawings on the wall with an "oh, by the way we can also do a performance sedan off of this architecture" tape drawing on the other wall. Never happened but the CTS did.
I would love to see what the Camaro would have looked like before the whole retro thing came back.
Old 04-26-2018, 08:24 PM   #54
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
I would love to see what the Camaro would have looked like before the whole retro thing came back.
I don't recall it ever getting past the2D packaging studies, but there may have been something in the studio at that point as well.

Now the Zeta based Chevy sedan............mmmmmmmmm
Old 04-26-2018, 09:14 PM   #55
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidinGA View Post
The reality is a sports car will never be practical or a wise purchase if it's your only vehicle, and I think that has a huge impact on sales across the board. Why buy a tiny car that goes fast versus one that seats 5+ comfortably, gets better mileage and hauls a ton more stuff with room to spare?

Young people have lost interest in fun cars as a whole I think...

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
When I was in high school in the late '70's the kid next door was on the high school football team as were his friends. After graduation the street in front of his house was lined with Camaros, Trans Ams, Chevelles, and all sorts of cool cars.
Two years ago my niece and her boyfriend graduated from the same high school, he was the quarterback, she was cheerleader. After graduation all the team got dropped off by their parents in minivan's/suv's.

My wife's uncle had the only cool car there, a new 2SS, and he's probably 10 years older than me.

Kids these days.
Old 04-26-2018, 09:31 PM   #56
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Kids these days can’t afford $40,000 cars.

People blaming kids these days are disconnected from reality.