Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

AWE Tuning

Old 03-28-2017, 01:35 PM   #1
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
Next project done - new brake pads

So after owning the 1LE for almost 2 months and 2000 miles and being the OCD person I am, I was worn out over the brake dust on the OEM pads for daily driving. I can see it for track use, but for daily use with the other pads out there it got me to wondering if there were any other alternatives for daily driving.

After talking with Brembo they took the Corp Atty route and said to only run the pads they developed in collaboration with GM. So research showed me that Powerstop offered a Carbon Ceramic pad that they tout as being daily drive quality and able to handle track use, while I know the track use is iffy and that I was after the DD part I took a chance. $120 shipped to my front door for both ends was worth it, plus this allows me to keep the OEM pads in storage for when I actually get to hit up a track day event.

Took me about 1.5 hours to change out both ends, both that also included time to wipe and clean the calipers off and wipe and clean the wheels off (which I found that my rear passenger side wheel was damaged during production mounting, now to see if the dealer will order another wheel or if I am stuck with it) and also make sure the sway bar end links were tight.

Then went out and bedded the pads in per Powerstops instructions. So far the stopping power seems on par and the same as the OEM pads for daily driving. Hoping that once I get some more miles on them they will continue to stay that way along with dusting 70% less as more of the previous users had suggested.

Pretty easy job though, other than a jack and jackstands you really only need a hammer and punch to get the old pads out. The fronts do have a retention bar that has a 13mm bolt on the inside that has to come out to remove the pads, the drivers side was easy but the brake line on the passenger side does cause some clearance issues so try and use a 1/4 ratchet to get the bolt out.
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 02:20 PM   #2
FoCoCamaro

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE (Krypton Green)
I was just thinking about the same problem. Definitely looking forward to hearing how it turns out.

Do you have the PowerStop part numbers handy?
FoCoCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 02:44 PM   #3
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
Power Stop Track Day pads for SS 1LE: PST-1405 front, PST-1718 rear.
Power Stop Z26 high performance street pads: Z26-1405 front, Z26-1718 rear.
Power Stop Z23 ultra-low dust street pads: Z23-1405 front, Z23-1718 rear.
Old 03-28-2017, 02:45 PM   #4
TJay74

I can get them, it was the Z26-1405 for the front and Z26-1718 for the rears.
Old 03-28-2017, 03:06 PM   #5
Th3Beast

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
I was actually going to do this as well. I have those pads saved in my Amazon account. My only concern was the differing pad materials when swapping them to the Ferodo pads. Powerstop pads are a ceramic material and the OEM Ferodo pads are semi-metallic. May not be that huge of deal, but if just means that the bedding processes is that much more importing as you'll get a lot of brake chatter on the track if all the ceramic pad deposits aren't worn off the rotor.
Old 03-28-2017, 03:17 PM   #6
TJay74

yeah I thought about that, but I will be lucky to do maybe 1-2 track days a year on a good year. May be a question to ask Powerstop if the bedding process will eliminate any worries or not.
Old 03-29-2017, 08:41 AM   #7
Th3Beast

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJay74 View Post
yeah I thought about that, but I will be lucky to do maybe 1-2 track days a year on a good year. May be a question to ask Powerstop if the bedding process will eliminate any worries or not.
Very true. One thing I find funny is the bedding procedure that GM recommends in the owner's manual. You would literally need a runway to do what they are asking
Old 03-29-2017, 10:56 AM   #8
seanblurr

Drives: ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Th3Beast View Post
Very true. One thing I find funny is the bedding procedure that GM recommends in the owner's manual. You would literally need a runway to do what they are asking
Honestly, I couldnt follow this. The only "bedding" I did was a few backroad runs. They seem to be doing ok, but ive noticed a definite lack of initial bite with the stock brakes/pads. I was a little worried it was due to my lack of "bedding", but have heard from others the stock brakes lack a bit of bite.

I will likely be getting a set of DTC-60's for track use and a set of HPS's for the street pretty soon and will do my best to properly bed both of them in while at the track one day. I like the idea of having the same company brakes and compounds when swapping back and forth.
Old 03-31-2017, 10:36 AM   #9
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Th3Beast View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanblurr View Post
Honestly, I couldnt follow this. The only "bedding" I did was a few backroad runs. They seem to be doing ok, but ive noticed a definite lack of initial bite with the stock brakes/pads. I was a little worried it was due to my lack of "bedding", but have heard from others the stock brakes lack a bit of bite.

I will likely be getting a set of DTC-60's for track use and a set of HPS's for the street pretty soon and will do my best to properly bed both of them in while at the track one day. I like the idea of having the same company brakes and compounds when swapping back and forth.
The burnishing process is really quite easy to do...get on a highway late at night where there is no traffic to worry about rear-ending...and complete a series of hard stops with about a 30-45 second no-brakes period in between. Do this for 15-25 times...

The process results in improving the factory pads initial bite, noticeably. But they still aren't race pads if that's what you're looking for...
Old 03-31-2017, 07:35 PM   #10
seanblurr

Drives: ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
The burnishing process is really quite easy to do...get on a highway late at night where there is no traffic to worry about rear-ending...and complete a series of hard stops with about a 30-45 second no-brakes period in between. Do this for 15-25 times...

The process results in improving the factory pads initial bite, noticeably. But they still aren't race pads if that's what you're looking for...
Sir I'm in the Bay Area, there is no such thing as an empty freeway ;-)
Old 03-31-2017, 07:39 PM   #11
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanblurr View Post
Sir I'm in the Bay Area, there is no such thing as an empty freeway ;-)
Two words for you, then:

Road. Trip.