Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Bigwormgraphix

Old 04-01-2023, 05:41 PM   #1
AZ_1LE

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE
C&R oil cooler

Just got a C&R/PWR oil cooler and was wondering if anyone has info on what they used to complete the install. Which AN line to use, sandwich plate with thermostat, etc.
AZ_1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 02:43 PM   #2
991.1le

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
Post 7

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=583742

I just installed mine using this as a guide and the results did not disappoint. 50+ degrees lower oil temps over the weekend. No elevated ECT’s either after deleting the one side cooler.
991.1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 05:02 PM   #3
FrostZ

Drives: 2019 A10 ZL1
I can also attest a 50F drop in temps, highly recommended post 7 for a guide on parts. I chose a 180F thermostat since it will be fully open around 190-200 so it can have oil flowing to the cooler a bit earlier, but any thermostat in that region should be acceptable.
Old 04-04-2023, 08:54 PM   #4
AZ_1LE

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE
Thanks guys, yea I did see that post. I am curious about details like what to do with the OEM aux radiator connections that go to the other aux cooler (I assume this is what the small 3/4" radiator hose is about?). And there's no need for heat shielding where the lines go near the primary cat?
AZ_1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 09:06 PM   #5
991.1le

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
I have an SS 1LE, so I’m not sure if it’s different. I didn’t buy any heater hose, I just reused one of the hoses to loop the system. I removed the hose that connects to the T fitting at the bottom of the radiator closest to the cooler and threw it away. I then undid the other 2 clamps on the T fitting so that I could rotate it 90 degrees, then connected the other hose that went to the cooler originally to that T fitting. So T-fitting directly to the hose that adapts to the hardline.
991.1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 09:25 AM   #6
FrostZ

Drives: 2019 A10 ZL1
The driver side AUX rad on the driver side is actually a secondary intercooler for the supercharger coolant, which unfortunately opens that can of worms. You have two options, one you can make a new line that runs from the source of the upper line, I cannot recall if it is the intercooler pump or the blower right now, and take that to the inlet of the front intercooler. This is how the lines run with the aux rad in the middle, or you can just get a dual male barb and take the two hose ends of the formed OEM tubing and put them together, which is what I chose to do. Either way you are opening the "vacuum sealed' factory intercooler loop. Any air in the system will cause the intercooler pump to cavitate and shutdown for a few minutes before it will try again, even with the car running you won't get any warning the pump has shutdown. I chose to install a supercharger coolant reservoir in the past that made this concern moot in my case but this must be taken into account if you are running a full OEM loop as of now. You could install a reservoir, have the lines purged using some online methods, or have a dealer vacuum fill it for you. I've decided that the one time purchase and simple install of the reservoir removes any chance of air entering the system in the future and never needing to work through the gravity or vacuum fill process to be worth it. In the case of the oil lines near the cat, I deemed mine to be far enough away that shielding was unnecessary but it couldn't hurt if done properly to avoid rubbing anywhere.