Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Bigwormgraphix

Old 01-19-2017, 11:01 AM   #1
Slem

Drives: 2016 Summit White 2SS (Auto) Loaded
Car at dealership

Brought car in today to see if the tech could hear this high pitched tapping noise coming from the engine driver side that you can hear more inside from driver side dash area, it's in the rpm range of 2k and 3k, it moves up and down with engine speed. Well he heard it and has no idea what it is and needs to try figure it out, also they will do the transmission line recall and apparently a power assist steering recall, they gave me a impala 😬 Will keep you posted if they find what this noise is.
Slem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 06:18 PM   #2
Slem

So steering recall done, parts ordered for transmission line cooler recall, now severice manager says he thinks I should come back when the noise problem I'm having is more pronounced, even know he heard it. To me it's very annoying and not enjoyable driving the car like that. If I can't get this noise figured out with them I will take car to another dealership.
Old 01-20-2017, 07:00 PM   #3
gdgraph

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Sounds like a typical GM dealership, they love saying come back when it's worse, or drive on it some more and see if it gets better. That's B.S. I'd get a hold of the General Manager and demand to them that they address the issue now. You can also contact GM and tell them the dealership is refusing to trouble shoot and fix you car and they will make a call to the dealership for you to apply some pressure on them.

Unfortunately I've never heard of anyone else having this issue so I have no clue what it could be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slem View Post
So steering recall done, parts ordered for transmission line cooler recall, now severice manager says he thinks I should come back when the noise problem I'm having is more pronounced, even know he heard it. To me it's very annoying and not enjoyable driving the car like that. If I can't get this noise figured out with them I will take car to another dealership.
gdgraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 08:00 PM   #4
2016SS

Drives: 2016 Summit White 2SS
Should see if you can get a video of the noise though it may be hard to capture it may help some knowledgeable forum members give some ideals.

I hate that to let's drive it until it completely breaks and leaves us stranded on the side of the road easy to diagnose then isn't it lol

Good luck no ideal what could be the issue.
2016 Camaro 2SS Summit built 3/28/16 delivered
2018 Camaro ZL1 cancelled by GM 😡
2019 Corvette 2lt Z51
2016SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 05:28 AM   #5
NY JOE

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Conv
Try GM TSB PIP5395a it may be a fuel line problem. THe tech may not have checked for TSB's. Its a well known problem across several different GM vehicles.
NY JOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 08:17 AM   #6
gdgraph

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
I agree! I wouldn't "just drive on it" they try to pull that stuff all the time.

And videos is a good idea, try to ensure your exhaust is in tour (if you have npp) and turn the radio off/windows up, if the dealer can't recreate the condition you can show them the vid, if somethings breaks you now have proof, and like 2016SS said there is probably someone more knowledgable here on the forum than at your dealership!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2016SS View Post
Should see if you can get a video of the noise though it may be hard to capture it may help some knowledgeable forum members give some ideals.

I hate that to let's drive it until it completely breaks and leaves us stranded on the side of the road easy to diagnose then isn't it lol

Good luck no ideal what could be the issue.
gdgraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 06:10 PM   #7
Slem

I actually did provide a video from my cell phone of the car sitting in my driveway and me holding 1500 rpm and getting a light tapping noise, I sent that one to the selling dealer first and he said that it did not sound normal and to take it to the dealer that is close to me as it is much more convenient. I showed that vid to the service manager, his response was well it sounds like you are in drive loading it up �� I said no I'm in park. He also said these are high performance motors and they do make noises, i said I have had many cars and none have made this noise. This high pitched noise seems to come more when the engine is warmed up and around 2000 rpm and 3000 rpm, you hear it when the car down shifts as well, if you put the car in manual mode and drive around 2k and 3k rpm you can reproduce the sound. He did say it might be the brake booster �� and asked me to try pump the brake when it made the noise and see if it made it go away. Of course I already know it does not. I can see this becoming a problem.
Old 01-23-2017, 06:32 PM   #8
Whitemaro6

Drives: 16 Summit white, Ceramic white 2SS
Wait power steering recall whats?!?
Whitemaro6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 07:06 PM   #9
Slem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitemaro6 View Post
Wait power steering recall whats?!?
Yes, apperantly the bolts on the power assist are breaking off or something and fluid runs out and you lose your power steering. This may be in Canada only, not sure. Punch your vin into this https://my.chevrolet.com/recalls?
Old 01-23-2017, 07:08 PM   #10
Slem

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY JOE View Post
Try GM TSB PIP5395a it may be a fuel line problem. THe tech may not have checked for TSB's. Its a well known problem across several different GM vehicles.

Joe... thanks for this info, this possibly might be the problem
Old 01-23-2017, 09:39 PM   #11
ParisTNDude
Owning SSes for 50 Years

Drives: Sharkskin Grey LT1
I had a similar noise and the dealership fixed it in about 15 minutes. They noticed one of the cables in the wheel well area of the drivers side had come loose and was clicking against metal or plastic. Increased speed caused increased click. He installed a tie wrap and all was well. It's now as quiet as ever. H

Previous Performance Cars:

1966 Chevelle SS 4M, 2010 Corvette 6M
1968 Dodge Charger R/T Auto 2012 1SS 6M
1982 Corvette Auto 2010 1SS 6A
1984 Corvette Auto 2016 2SS 8A
1999 Camaro Auto 2017 HBM 1SS 1le
2002 C5 Corvette 6M 2018 2SS
2006 Corvette Auto 2023 Camaro LT1
ParisTNDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 11:56 AM   #12
stook2001

Drives: 99 M3, 04 STi, 16 2SS
Quote:
Brought car in today to see if the tech could hear this high pitched tapping noise coming from the engine driver side that you can hear more inside from driver side dash area, it's in the rpm range of 2k and 3k, it moves up and down with engine speed. Well he heard it and has no idea what it is and needs to try figure it out, also they will do the transmission line recall and apparently a power assist steering recall, they gave me a impala 😬 Will keep you posted if they find what this noise is.
I think I have something very similar to this. Perhaps the same. Any chance you could post your video so that I could have a listen? I don't think I can reliably reproduce my issue and I can't quite tell if it is a rattle (don't think so) or something else. Sort of a fast paced tapping under very light throttle at lower RPMs. I tend to hear it occasionally, I think, when I am going up a slight hill under light load at low RPMs and lower speed.
stook2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 01:28 PM   #13
Slem

Quote:
Originally Posted by stook2001 View Post
I think I have something very similar to this. Perhaps the same. Any chance you could post your video so that I could have a listen? I don't think I can reliably reproduce my issue and I can't quite tell if it is a rattle (don't think so) or something else. Sort of a fast paced tapping under very light throttle at lower RPMs. I tend to hear it occasionally, I think, when I am going up a slight hill under light load at low RPMs and lower speed.
Sounds like what I have, I have not done a vid yet when driving but will do soon. If you want to try a test , drive in manual mode and let your rpms stay around 2500 to 3000 and listen forward to your windshield and if you have it , it will sound like a high pitched tapping or ticking that will get louder when your car down shifts or if you accelerate slowly up to 3000 rpm, just get on and off the throttle in that rpm range.
Old 01-24-2017, 03:39 PM   #14
stook2001

Drives: 99 M3, 04 STi, 16 2SS
Quote:
Sounds like what I have, I have not done a vid yet when driving but will do soon. If you want to try a test , drive in manual mode and let your rpms stay around 2500 to 3000 and listen forward to your windshield and if you have it , it will sound like a high pitched tapping or ticking that will get louder when your car down shifts or if you accelerate slowly up to 3000 rpm, just get on and off the throttle in that rpm range.
I think mine happens at a bit lower RPMs, I want to say more like 1500-2000. Again, under very light throttle with some load, ie. going up small incline. I almost feel like this is a bogging the engine type condition but their is a lot of power off idle and there is no vibration or anything associated with the noise, which you mostly likely would have if it was just bogging... Not to mention this is an automatic, so it really should just downshift rather than bog. But anyway...

Separately, I also feel like my transmission has been very, very gradually acting a little differently than when it was brand new (have almost 1,500 miles now). I get an occasional slight hesitation followed by a hard engagement here and there under light load, more when the car is cold or mid way to operating temp. I keep the car in sport mode, if that matters, and this happens under auto shift. No idea if the two issues are related. Neither one bothers me too much quite yet and I am not sure how readily I can reproduce them. However, I will try your approach to see what happens.
stook2001 is offline   Reply With Quote