Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 05-20-2024, 03:13 PM   #1
m6-lt1

Drives: 2023 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE
Camaro Track Warranty

I know similar topics have been discussed before but I searched these threads and all 3 manuals and I personally wasn’t able to find anything. Has anyone actually found anything in either the owners, limited warranty or high performance supplement that directly says hpde/non competitive events are covered? I have only found things in the manual that give a service department that’s acting like a **** about track failures a way out of doing the work.

Before anyone does this, please do not post links to articles stating that it’s covered. A service department that’s giving you a hard time will not accept that. I know from looking on these boards that most people have had good luck in getting things covered but have seen a few cases where folks were being denied coverage on a stock car. I’ve seen one too many failures on the post covid built cars and was hoping to have something ironclad to give a service department should the worst happen to me on track. Any help is appreciated.

Prior:
2016 Camaro 1SS
2007 Mustang GT
2008 Civic Si
m6-lt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2024, 05:17 PM   #2
TransamGTA350

Drives: 2023 Camaro SS1LE
Other than the news articles you mentioned, I have not seen anything printed from GM regarding the warranty coverage for track days/HPDE. I do track mine, but have not had any mechanical warranty work as of yet.

All you have to go by is the fact that the car comes with a performance owners manual supplement and a track prep manual. They have manuals specifically telling us how to set up the car for track use, so if they didn’t feel the car was capable, then why provide those instructions? That would be my argument anyway if it came to it. Run it up GM customer service if the dealer is being obstructive.
Old 05-20-2024, 06:06 PM   #3
m6-lt1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TransamGTA350 View Post
All you have to go by is the fact that the car comes with a performance owners manual supplement and a track prep manual. They have manuals specifically telling us how to set up the car for track use, so if they didn’t feel the car was capable, then why provide those instructions? That would be my argument anyway if it came to it. Run it up GM customer service if the dealer is being obstructive.
That is how I feel also but I can see them pointing to the part in the warranty manual that says damage due to racing isn’t covered (I know hpde isn’t racing). I also agree if the worst happens and they give me or anyone a hard time, it would be best to go up the chain. I did see one example where even the local GM rep said track use isn’t covered which is why I’m kinda worried. It seems like they just aren’t super knowledgeable about the product they sell.

Prior:
2016 Camaro 1SS
2007 Mustang GT
2008 Civic Si
Old 05-20-2024, 06:37 PM   #4
ChibbMD

Drives: 2022 SS 1LE
Sorry for answering your question with another question, but I'm curious what situation you think you'd encounter that you'd have to disclose to the dealer that you were on a closed course race track? What's to say your failure didn't occur on a spirited weekend drive on a public road?
ChibbMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2024, 06:45 PM   #5
m6-lt1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibbMD View Post
Sorry for answering your question with another question, but I'm curious what situation you think you'd encounter that you'd have to disclose to the dealer that you were on a closed course race track? What's to say your failure didn't occur on a spirited weekend drive on a public road?
That’s a good question. Personally if I had a failure I wouldn’t tell them I was on track. Now if they ask, I’m not sure what I’d say. It’s pretty easy to look at someone’s tires and tell that they track their car. Same with the rotors. I could be wrong but I believe they can see things like rpm, speed, etc during your last drive cycle if they wanted to. So they could potentially figure out we were on track if they wanted to. Would they get mad if we lied and said no? Idk. I just wish we had 100% proof that it is allowed for us to track our vehicles just in case a service department wanted to give us a hard time.

Prior:
2016 Camaro 1SS
2007 Mustang GT
2008 Civic Si
Old 05-20-2024, 06:46 PM   #6
TransamGTA350

Drives: 2023 Camaro SS1LE
You’re in the same boat as the rest of us. They “should” cover warranty issues, but you can’t help if the dealer is difficult. History over the past decade or so of Camaros and Corvettes shows that most warranties are honored, but a few have had a hard time.

I do think it helps to align with a dealer who is supportive. The dealer I purchased mine from knows I track it and will support me on warranty issues. If you ask your dealer and they say they won’t do that, then find another dealer who will. Better to know ahead of time if they got your back.
Old 05-20-2024, 07:22 PM   #7
m6-lt1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TransamGTA350 View Post
You’re in the same boat as the rest of us. They “should” cover warranty issues, but you can’t help if the dealer is difficult. History over the past decade or so of Camaros and Corvettes shows that most warranties are honored, but a few have had a hard time.

I do think it helps to align with a dealer who is supportive. The dealer I purchased mine from knows I track it and will support me on warranty issues. If you ask your dealer and they say they won’t do that, then find another dealer who will. Better to know ahead of time if they got your back.
You are correct. I have thought about asking. Only thing is I am planning on driving far away for a few track days why I am in possession of my 1le.

Prior:
2016 Camaro 1SS
2007 Mustang GT
2008 Civic Si
Old 05-20-2024, 07:38 PM   #8
Christian1LE

Drives: 2004 BMW 330CI, 2022 1SS 1LE
No personal experience but from what I hear they have been honoring warranties. I know of a guy that blew his engine on the track and the dealer picked the car up from the track and did the warranty work to get it fixed.
Christian1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 12:44 AM   #9
N Camarolina

Drives: 2021 2SS 1LE
I blew my engine at VIR, called GM from the track, and had them arrange for the car to be picked up at the track and delivered to the dealership of my choosing 80 miles away. Engine replaced under warranty with no resistance from GM.

You won't find that kind of warranty support from Ford (I recall you contemplating switching vehicles), so while you have your 1LE, might as well dip your toe in the water and track it.
N Camarolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 05:59 AM   #10
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
GM’s big thing has always been modifications to the powertrain and specifically recalibration. Dave Hill, Corvette Chief Engineer, got tired of his warranty costs being so high and mostly due to people modifying the original calibration. So today it’s on super lock down. Otherwise I don’t ever recall discussion a problem with using the car in a way that is less than what it was designed for. Sorry, if you aren’t getting your pay check from that track day you aren’t driving it as hard as GM designed it for. Remember GM built he “Lutz Ring” at Milford just to tune cars for this. And they give cars to the press to knowingly take to the track.

My guess is it’s hard to legally word a warranty on what is or is not covered due to track day use and whether it’s the car or abuse by the driver so they just let it go. Gives them a little wiggle room.

But back to OEMs “spying”, I recall one OEM denying warranty as they supposedly had GPS data showing the car was at the track.
Old 05-21-2024, 07:25 AM   #11
m6-lt1

Thanks Christian and Ncamarolina for sharing those examples of towing your car straight from the track! @number 3 that oem was Toyota. The service department creeped on a gr86 owners Instagram and saw he tracked it. Mitsubishi also back in the day didn’t allow folks to track their cars.

Prior:
2016 Camaro 1SS
2007 Mustang GT
2008 Civic Si