Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

AWE Tuning

Old 09-21-2017, 01:17 PM   #1
anjoeche

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 6M (RED)
Tire/wheel question

I posted this originally in the wrong section i believe. I'm new here. I have a potentially dumb question. I could not find an answer or a thread that could answer it. I'm about to install 245/40/20 and 8.5 all 4 sides to replace stock wheel/tires. Will this be possible without sacrificing a significant amount of performance. This is for a DD btw.

Any help here will be greatly appreciated.
anjoeche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 10:41 AM   #2
JohnCobalt

Drives: Camaro and Mazda CX3
It depends on what tire you use. Have you already chosen a tire? I can honestly tell you I hate the 245s (runflats) that my RS came with. Maybe they're from a bad batch, but they are horrible and I'm replacing them soon.
JohnCobalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 12:37 AM   #3
anjoeche

GoodyearEAGLE F1 ASYMMETRIC ALL-SEASON RUNONFLAT - SIZE: 245/40R20

Full disclosure I know almost nothing about cars and this is my first sports car since my teenage years. I've had it for a little less then two months, sort of an impulse buy (early midlife crisis I guess). So I'm "learning" as I go along. I'm not interested in racing or anything like that. My reasoning for getting the tires/Wheels in that size is hoping for convenience (i.e. tire rotation). So I'm not worried about losing some of the original traction or some of the original performance. I just want to make sure I'm not going to hurt anything by making the switch.
Attached Images

Old 09-24-2017, 10:04 AM   #4
JohnCobalt

The offset is different on the rears of the SS, so that will be changing as well. I don't know anyone who has put that thin of a wheel and tire on the back of a V8 camaro, but I guess as long as it fits, and you don't race, you should be fine.
I'll say again that my runflats don't like to stay on the road, and my car is way less powerful than yours. All my vettes had runflats, so I'm a fan of them. Just not these.
Old 09-24-2017, 09:53 PM   #5
anjoeche

Thanks for the info. As for the run flats, this is the first car I've driven with them and I've only put about 500 miles on it so I don't have anything really to compare them with. Drives smooth as far as i can tell. I'm assuming the ride would be even smoother with none run flats based on what I've been reading here.
Old 09-25-2017, 06:43 AM   #6
bturner2

Drives: 2SS, Hyper Blue, Sunroof, NPP, MRC
I asked the same question some time ago.

I use my car for company business and put on considerable miles. Using the car this way allows me to offset the cost of the vehicle and drive pretty much what I like rather than some less desirable sedan or crossover SUV. Anyway, the staggered set up is kind of a PITA, as like you say you can't really rotate tires properly.

I've looked at 20" RS take off wheel packages as a replacement but haven't been able to get anyone with any knowledge to verify if the rear end, alignment or stance is different between the RS and the SS. If not, then the switch would be really easy. If it is then I really don't want to mess with it.

It's interesting that the Mustang GTs come standard with non staggered and are offered with a staggered set up with the performance package. That would tend to indicate that the front/rear setup is the same for both cars but.......

I'm going to need tires come next summer so hopefully I'll be able to figure this out by then.
bturner2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 07:27 AM   #7
anjoeche

I made the switch late last night and so far so good.
Old 09-25-2017, 04:08 PM   #8
anjoeche

bturner2 - The set of tires/Wheels I just put on my car, I ordered on eBay appear to be RS take offs. I've put about 60 miles today (combination of city & highway). I honestly have not been able to tell the difference between them and my stocks as of yet.
Old 09-26-2017, 06:33 AM   #9
bturner2

Drives: 2SS, Hyper Blue, Sunroof, NPP, MRC
What????? You bought the wheels/tires I was looking at?

Just kidding of course. Could you please let me know how this works out for you after about 1000 miles? I'm planing to do the same next summer if it works out for you.

I know a lot of guys will think we're nuts going to a smaller tire but I honestly am more interested in something a bit more daily driver friendly. I love the staggered look and all but I need something that's going to get more than 24K miles per set and be a bit better in the rain.

Thanks again for your response.....
bturner2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 03:12 PM   #10
Wolvie70

Drives: 2016 2SS, Summit White, A8, NPP
Personally I would get the right offset and go 275 all around. When I need new tires if I still have the car, I will probably do this.
Wolvie70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 03:22 PM   #11
SSDanny

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS M6
Going with anything less wider than a 275 on the rear of your SS with a m6 doesn't look like a great idea to me personally if you like to give the car some spirited starts off the line. I have 305's on my rears and even then I get some bad wheel spin when I let the clutch go moderately lol. As someone else suggested, look into 275's all around better than a 245.
Old 09-26-2017, 03:43 PM   #12
JohnCobalt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolvie70 View Post
Personally I would get the right offset and go 275 all around. When I need new tires if I still have the car, I will probably do this.
What do you mean by the right offset? The front is 25 and the rear is 39 (on SS). Do you mean install different wheels with the same offset all around and then use 275s so you can rotate?
Old 09-26-2017, 03:47 PM   #13
JohnCobalt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolvie70 View Post
I'm sorry, I think I know what you mean now. But the OP was looking for solution so rotating can be done.

It's been a long day...
Old 09-26-2017, 04:30 PM   #14
anjoeche

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDanny View Post
Going with anything less wider than a 275 on the rear of your SS with a m6 doesn't look like a great idea to me personally if you like to give the car some spirited starts off the line. I have 305's on my rears and even then I get some bad wheel spin when I let the clutch go moderately lol. As someone else suggested, look into 275's all around better than a 245.

If after a few months I notice any noticeable issues I'll try this. But so far, with my current driving habits the tires seem to be doing okay. I drove it pretty hard yesterday for about 60 miles just to get a feel. I was expecting to notice a bit difference but really couldn't.