Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-23-2019, 09:42 AM   #1
Shutudwn

Drives: 2004 Ford Mustang Cobra
Camaro Stolen and Claim Denied

It's been a while since I posted on here but I felt I needed to share my story. I'll try to be as concise as possible but include all the important details so everyone has a good understanding of what happened.

Late last year I had two vehicles for sale, an 03 Lightning and my 14 Camaro 1LE. They were both advertised on a classified site called Kijiji. I received a text from an individual who had interest in the Lightning. Long story short he wanted me to bring the truck to a Ford Dealership where his brother apparently worked so he could have it inspected. I agreed to meet after work (5pm). He said his brother would be there even though the dealership closed at 5pm. However, when I arrived at the dealership no one was there. I sent him a text but didn't get a response. After waiting 10 mins I understood what had happened and went home.

This is where things go really wrong. When I arrived home I saw that my Camaro was gone. ( Yes, I left the keys in it. However my claim wasn't denied for this reason, read on,) I thought at this time I was probably set up. I then did all the things you're suppose to do when something is stolen, called the police, insurance, Onstar etc. Unfortunately my Onstar wasn't activated and there was no way they could track it.

After talking with the insurance company they told me to send in all records of my conversation with the potential buyer, keys, service records etc. I also was interviewed by a Lawyer two months later. Where I was asked dozens of questions including if I knew the value of my car on the Black Market before I bought it, lol.

After 6 months of waiting I was contacted yesterday by my claim advisor who told me my claim was denied because of inconsistances in my story and wait for it, because the insurance company believes the car was never stolen.

Next week I'll get a detailed letter explaining how they reached their decision. I'm hoping I don't have to get a lawyer but It may come to that.
Shutudwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 10:09 AM   #2
Shutudwn

1 of 7 Silver Ice Metallic 2014 1le's in Canada. Gone but not forgotten. VIN 2G1FT1EW8E9290398N

Last edited by Shutudwn; 02-28-2019 at 02:26 PM.
Old 02-23-2019, 10:12 AM   #3
Mike J

Drives: 2015 Topless Btch RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutudwn View Post
For those that can't be bothered with reading, my 2014 Camaro was stolen last August, yesterday my claim was denied because they believe it wasn't stolen.
After reading post, was it late last year or August? Mixing up stories may raise flags to the insurance. in Montreal area?
Mike J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 10:14 AM   #4
awsm66

Drives: Victory Red 2011 2SS
wow sorry to hear that...it is ridiculous how insurance companies try to get out of claims.

I was a witness to a lady swerving into my lane and hitting the car in front of me head on. The insurance company tried and tried to get out of paying the person she hit because she said it was the other persons fault. If I had not been an eye witness and given them my name and number (the insurance called me) they would have denied that claim just on the fact the driver said it was the other persons fault.

I have had great service from mine even though I have only filed one claim in 31 years (MS Farm Bureau)...yeah they have made plenty of money off of me.

My question is who is your insurance with?
awsm66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 10:21 AM   #5
Shutudwn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike J View Post
After reading post, was it late last year or August? Mixing up stories may raise flags to the insurance. in Montreal area?
I have no doubt this is a reason they would use. It won't hold up though. It was August 13th, exactly 3 years after I bought it. Stolen in St Jean Sur Richelieu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by awsm66 View Post
My question is who is your insurance with?
La Personnelle. When I was hit by someone in 2016 I had no issues. This however is a very different story.

Last edited by Shutudwn; 02-23-2019 at 10:32 AM.
Old 02-23-2019, 10:36 AM   #6
rshelar

Drives: 2017 1SS auto vert Nightfall Gray
First; this sucks. Second; if you are in Quebec, you’re situation will only be relative to Canada. Any comments from the lower 48 would not be valid. Third; yes, you will need a lawyer. This is now a legal matter. When you agreed to speak to their lawyer without your own representation, you were being “set up”. This was a mistake! Keep in mind that the primary objective of insurance companies is to NOT pay out benefits. When they are notified in writing that you have engaged an attorney in this matter, everything will change. Do not talk to them any further. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rshelar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 10:45 AM   #7
qcman

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RDP Tuned L99
Sorry to hear about this OP but I personally would never leave keys in my Camaro without being right beside it. Did you leave the keys in it on a regular basis? I know you said it wasn't a factor but to me if the insurance is denying the claim no doubt the fact the car just had to be started and driven away with ease may make them believe you orchestrated the theft.

Now I'm not suggesting you did that for a second but it gives them more ammo in the claim denial. I would lawyer up in heartbeat if I were you right now & it may have been prudent to have had a lawyer with you during the questioning by their lawyer even though you had nothing to hide. It seems they were chasing after a false claim on their end from the getgo just based on their approach & looking for something they could use to support that belief.
qcman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 10:54 AM   #8
gringo
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro V6
Why did you leave the keys in the Camaro?
gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 11:17 AM   #9
Shutudwn

Quote:
Originally Posted by gringo View Post
Why did you leave the keys in the Camaro?
I drove the Camaro to work in the morning and then home for lunch. I planned to drive it back to work but I was contacted by the guy interested in the Lightning. Initially I locked the Camaro but before leaving realized I forgot my glasses and coffee cup in it. I got my stuff and didn't even think twice about leaving the keys in the centre console.

Again, they aren't denying the claim for this reason. I'll find out in detail next week why they did. Was it stupid? Hell yeah. But, it's my belief that who ever took it wasn't going to let a locked door stand in their way. They came there with the intent to steal it. I don't believe it was a random passer by. I live in a decent neighbourhood.
Old 02-23-2019, 11:24 AM   #10
Roader

Drives: Camaro
To late now but anymneighbors have security cameras or business nearby?
Roader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 12:05 PM   #11
Shutudwn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roader View Post
To late now but anymneighbors have security cameras or business nearby?
I asked a few neighbours but none had cameras. The police are supposed to check the businesses. Whether they did or not is another story.
Old 02-23-2019, 12:09 PM   #12
qcman

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RDP Tuned L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutudwn View Post
I asked a few neighbours but none had cameras. The police are supposed to check the businesses. Whether they did or not is another story.

The problem is that was a long time ago & perhaps surveillance video is not kept that long or could have be overwritten. But my fingers are crossed for you that's not the case
qcman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 12:54 PM   #13
Ajax2112

Drives: ZL1
Have you had any theft claims in the passed? Whether they be for items removed from a car or your home or had any other cars stolen in the past?
Ajax2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 03:39 PM   #14
Shutudwn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax2112 View Post
Have you had any theft claims in the passed? Whether they be for items removed from a car or your home or had any other cars stolen in the past?
No. I've been in two accidents in my life, both of which I was not at fault. The only other claim was for a chipped windshield. There's no reason they should deny my claim. It will all work out but the Insurance company won't make it easy.