Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 05-19-2024, 06:36 PM   #1
Bigtime53

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Anyone tried this tire yet?

I have been looking for another set of tires for some 5 spoke ZL1 wheels I have had for sale so I guess I will throw some tires on them and use them. I see this first tire and wonder if anyone has run them on their car. I put up pics of the ones I am thinking about so give me some input please on ones you would buy.

Well I tried loading pics twice and no luck. The ones are nitro 555r tires and a Atturo tire. I know some have said the nitto tire is good but what about Atturo tire? For the rear tire.
Bigtime53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 10:53 AM   #2
Robmnrd

I run a Nitto 555G2 up front, and the 555R2 in the rear.

They haven't made the original 555R for years - do you mean the R2 or did you find someone selling the original R from storage? I would suggest not buying the R if they are from someone's garage and have been sitting for years.

If you mean the R2 - I can give a pretty good review.

I use the setup I described as my pseudo-DD setup (I put about 7000 miles on the car per year, driving it consistently for ~8 months of that time. I live in TX, so I drive it year round but the 4 coldest months it's only like once every couple weeks when a warm day pops up).

They perform exceptionally well at my power level (very mildly modded, about 500 at the wheel through the A6) when new and for ~50% of their treadlife. After they hit the second 50% of their treadlife you need them warm and a clean road surface and they will perform fairly close to their like-new status. When near their final ~25% treadlife, their effectiveness in all driving scenarios drops off like a rock. I have a theory based on how I use mine that they also have a heat-cycle life that is quite a bit shorter than their treadlife, but the R2 seemed to improve that a lot from the original R.

They are heavily geared towards straight line performance but again, the R2 made improvements from the original R and the R2 does 'well enough' for non-competition sporty curvy driving. They are surprisingly predictable when pushing towards their limit both in a straight line and around curves.

In wet driving (if you will be doing it at all) they are only "good" for the first ~25% of treadlife. Beyond that they decline rapidly. Once at ~50% treadlife I do not exceed 70mph when roads are wet and if there is actual standing water of any type on the road I do not exceed 55mph. They're not designed for it, it's dangerous.

Road noise has a parabolic curve. When new they are kinda noisy, then noise seems to drop off for a long period, and then picks back up when you are nearing end of treadlife.

If you take it easy on them (I do approximately zero burnouts ever) they will 'last' for 15000+ miles. Surprisingly good for a fairly dedicated DR style tire. Refer back to my posted percentages to find out how long they perform 'well' under different conditions and mileages.

Aesthetically (if you care) they look great on the car. Very meaty.

Comfort-wise (if you care) they do 'okay'. I don't care at all since the car isn't "meant" to be comfy (I know it can be especially if you have a properly functioning mag ride but 'it ain't no Cadillac' lol. Yes the irony of Cadillacs having mag ride is not lost on me).

I'm happy enough with my G2-R2 setup that I continue going back to it, and spending the money on it.

I have zero knowledge/experience with the Atturo tire - never even heard of that brand tbh. I hope someone can post about them - always curious to learn!
Robmnrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 11:58 AM   #3
CamaroCracka

Drives: 2010 Turbo LS3
There was a thread on here about the Atturo tires and the OP liked them, mostly for the price. He was running stockish power. They are around 500 treadwear and I believe W rated, so they seem to be a reasonable all season tire and you can buy two sets for what a single name brand set costs. If you are trying to put power to the ground, stick with big names.

2011 Vert - 416/w 230/236 .612/.602 115lsa, 1LE suspension w/32mm rear bar. Z28 diff. ZL1 brakes.
CamaroCracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 08:57 PM   #4
Bigtime53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robmnrd View Post
I run a Nitto 555G2 up front, and the 555R2 in the rear.

They haven't made the original 555R for years - do you mean the R2 or did you find someone selling the original R from storage? I would suggest not buying the R if they are from someone's garage and have been sitting for years.

If you mean the R2 - I can give a pretty good review.

I use the setup I described as my pseudo-DD setup (I put about 7000 miles on the car per year, driving it consistently for ~8 months of that time. I live in TX, so I drive it year round but the 4 coldest months it's only like once every couple weeks when a warm day pops up).

They perform exceptionally well at my power level (very mildly modded, about 500 at the wheel through the A6) when new and for ~50% of their treadlife. After they hit the second 50% of their treadlife you need them warm and a clean road surface and they will perform fairly close to their like-new status. When near their final ~25% treadlife, their effectiveness in all driving scenarios drops off like a rock. I have a theory based on how I use mine that they also have a heat-cycle life that is quite a bit shorter than their treadlife, but the R2 seemed to improve that a lot from the original R.

They are heavily geared towards straight line performance but again, the R2 made improvements from the original R and the R2 does 'well enough' for non-competition sporty curvy driving. They are surprisingly predictable when pushing towards their limit both in a straight line and around curves.

In wet driving (if you will be doing it at all) they are only "good" for the first ~25% of treadlife. Beyond that they decline rapidly. Once at ~50% treadlife I do not exceed 70mph when roads are wet and if there is actual standing water of any type on the road I do not exceed 55mph. They're not designed for it, it's dangerous.

Road noise has a parabolic curve. When new they are kinda noisy, then noise seems to drop off for a long period, and then picks back up when you are nearing end of treadlife.

If you take it easy on them (I do approximately zero burnouts ever) they will 'last' for 15000+ miles. Surprisingly good for a fairly dedicated DR style tire. Refer back to my posted percentages to find out how long they perform 'well' under different conditions and mileages.

Aesthetically (if you care) they look great on the car. Very meaty.

Comfort-wise (if you care) they do 'okay'. I don't care at all since the car isn't "meant" to be comfy (I know it can be especially if you have a properly functioning mag ride but 'it ain't no Cadillac' lol. Yes the irony of Cadillacs having mag ride is not lost on me).

I'm happy enough with my G2-R2 setup that I continue going back to it, and spending the money on it.

I have zero knowledge/experience with the Atturo tire - never even heard of that brand tbh. I hope someone can post about them - always curious to learn!

Thanks for the input. That answer is very detailed and sure will help me decide on which tire to use. I have had Michelin tires before and the guy I sold my other Z to still has them on the car! There over ten years old so I think he better put new ones on soon. I also have had continental tires and they were also good. At least I liked those better because road noise was a lot quieter. Anyway thanks for your input.
Old 05-22-2024, 08:59 PM   #5
Bigtime53

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroCracka View Post
There was a thread on here about the Atturo tires and the OP liked them, mostly for the price. He was running stockish power. They are around 500 treadwear and I believe W rated, so they seem to be a reasonable all season tire and you can buy two sets for what a single name brand set costs. If you are trying to put power to the ground, stick with big names.
I will find that thread. Your right there cheaper tires but I would not buy any until I get input from other members here then make a decision. Thanks
Old Yesterday, 03:51 AM   #6
morepowerjoe

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro l99
I also have the Nitto 555G2's up front with the 555R2's out back and just tried them out at LS Festival last week at the drag race. The R2's out back just hooked up with no slip and went. I believe I have around 480 or so whp.
DSS FX Forged Pistons, Eagle ESP L19 Forged Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, TSP PRC 260 CNC Ported Heads milled .030, Cometic .040 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnions , Molly Pushrods, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Mishimoto Radiator, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter, Fluid Dynamics Balancer

Build Thread https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=609817
morepowerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote