Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launching Discussion

Phastek Performance

Old 06-01-2024, 09:13 PM   #1
James Montigny

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS
Upgrades for track racing 800rwhp PD car

I haven't been to the drag strip in over 15 years; they closed KCIR to build a park and I sold my 93.
Now that we have a new local strip open, I think it's time to get back into it.
What was a street toy needs to be adapted to be an occasional grudge night race car.
I'm not looking to win anything, I'm just out there because I like racing.

It looks like many of you are running the same 26-28" drag radials and slicks that I am familiar with.
What else will I need to get traction and reduce the chance of breaking stuff?

It's a 2017 Camaro SS with a 2650, stock A8, stock driveshaft, stock converter and stock axles.
With the latest round of upgrades gong in this month, I'm expecting 800rwhp.
I've already upgraded the rear suspension (trailing arms, toe rods, cradle bushings) with BMR components.
My street wheels are FF10s wrapped in PS4s, I'd run something softer on smaller diameter rims at the rack.
Built by Killer Performance, Tuned by Justune.
James Montigny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2024, 11:01 PM   #2
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Montigny View Post
I haven't been to the drag strip in over 15 years; they closed KCIR to build a park and I sold my 93.
Now that we have a new local strip open, I think it's time to get back into it.
What was a street toy needs to be adapted to be an occasional grudge night race car.
I'm not looking to win anything, I'm just out there because I like racing.

It looks like many of you are running the same 26-28" drag radials and slicks that I am familiar with.
What else will I need to get traction and reduce the chance of breaking stuff?

It's a 2017 Camaro SS with a 2650, stock A8, stock driveshaft, stock converter and stock axles.
With the latest round of upgrades gong in this month, I'm expecting 800rwhp.
I've already upgraded the rear suspension (trailing arms, toe rods, cradle bushings) with BMR components.
My street wheels are FF10s wrapped in PS4s, I'd run something softer on smaller diameter rims at the rack.
Do not run 26” wheels with a PD blower lol…definitely run 28” tall to help blunt the torque hit of the blower. 305/45/17 is a common size that works well. MT ET Street R drag radials are perfect for the track.

You’ll likely destroy the stock axles or driveshaft soon on sticky tires at a well prepped track. Sometimes guys get away with the stock stuff for a while but sooner or later they give up the ghost. I’d upgrade those if you can, but at a minimum, add a BMR driveshaft loop either way… I was really glad I had did that upgrade when my stock driveshaft let go…!
Old 06-02-2024, 08:08 AM   #3
James Montigny

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshinator99 View Post
Do not run 26” wheels with a PD blower lol…definitely run 28” tall to help blunt the torque hit of the blower. 305/45/17 is a common size that works well. MT ET Street R drag radials are perfect for the track.
Oh absolutely. I had great luck with those on my old cars.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshinator99 View Post
You’ll likely destroy the stock axles or driveshaft soon on sticky tires at a well prepped track. Sometimes guys get away with the stock stuff for a while but sooner or later they give up the ghost. I’d upgrade those if you can, but at a minimum, add a BMR driveshaft loop either way… I was really glad I had did that upgrade when my stock driveshaft let go…!
Safety loop and axles for sure, they're required at this level, right?
I suspected that the driveshaft and possibly the input shaft needed upgrades as well.
Built by Killer Performance, Tuned by Justune.
James Montigny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2024, 08:13 AM   #4
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Montigny View Post
Oh absolutely. I had great luck with those on my old cars.

Safety loop and axles for sure, they're required at this level, right?
I suspected that the driveshaft and possibly the input shaft needed upgrades as well.
Safety loop is mandatory with sticky tires. Axles required by NHRA at some point (don’t remember when) but even though I have GForce Outlaws the track never asks me about them. I think the DS will go first but only because that’s what happened to me lol.
Old 06-03-2024, 08:07 AM   #5
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
28" tire, driveshaft, axles.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote