Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 04-14-2023, 03:14 PM   #1
KamZL1

Drives: ZL1
Am I crazy?

Ok first hello everyone again, haven't been on here in a while because work is ******* insane but I guess it could be the other way around so can't complain too much

Anyway, my good friend's boss is currently looking for a Z. He was looking at HC too but I think I made a compelling argument to get him in the better all-around car that we all love.

First thing I told him was that he should probably look at late 2019 and up due to oil pump concerns (I have a 17 with 50k miles with no issues at all but everyone around here knows it's not NOT an issue)

He's not new to performance vehicles or anything like that; has a bad ass built 73 Camaro that he is selling for this one, but one thing he did say is that he would like a stock car. (Willing to make exceptions for right price)

In looking, he found a 2020 with (in my opinion) a monster mod list that is the following: Cam (don't know specs), 2.5 upper, 9.45 lower, DSX low side, BG, and Kooks 2". Car has 16k miles.

Now based on the above, my thoughts were that this car has probably only seen prepped surfaces for a good amount of those 16k miles and has the potential to have every bit of 800-900 wheel and is prob a mid-low 9 second car as it sits. I'm thinking that he should pass on this because of his statement that he wanted more of a stock car and due to how much of a monster this car probably is. Again, he is only considering this due to the discounted price (I'm assuming is due to the extensive mods) compared to similar 2020 with same miles.

So, am I crazy in my thoughts or am I giving sound advice?

TIA for your input!!!
KamZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2023, 03:44 PM   #2
Cotton31

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
Just put down on a new ZL1 here in orlando. Spoke with Chevy and the allocations for 23 with stop May 19 and production for 23 will stop on Aug 10. All orders are suppose to be in by Feb 2024. To be able to get one. So im looking at a 23 or a 24
Cotton31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2023, 05:23 PM   #3
DangerZL1

Drives: 2023 Black ZL1 Auto
It may be a good deal, but if it’s not what he’s comfortable with, I’d pass. Unless you know who did the mods and all the specs, I’d be uncomfortable with the purchase too. I have a 2023 on the way and just had my 2022 appraised today for trade. I’m sure I’d of taken a big hit if it wasn’t stock.
DangerZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2023, 07:50 PM   #4
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
I would get a new ZL1 if he can afford it.
Old 04-14-2023, 09:22 PM   #5
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
Buy a Scat Pack, save the 60++K and build it up and OWN on the 1320.

His built 73 is more like the MOPAR straight line-ers. Violent and fast on a prepped surface.

The ZL1 is VIOLENT and fast every where. Not as fast straight as the HC but if you are not on a SUPER STRAIGHT road the HC are owned. Even slight turns.

If you need just RAW 1320' nothing beats the Plaid

Firecracker Red Wrangler Willys, 3.6L eTorque, 850RE 8 speed automatic, 25W Willys package, Technology Group, Convenience Group (aka $600 garage door opener), Cold weather Group, Trailer Tow and HD electric group with AUX switches, 3 piece black freedom top.
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2023, 10:15 PM   #6
Camfab

Drives: ‘23 ZL1-1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by KamZL1 View Post
Ok first hello everyone again, haven't been on here in a while because work is ******* insane but I guess it could be the other way around so can't complain too much

Anyway, my good friend's boss is currently looking for a Z. He was looking at HC too but I think I made a compelling argument to get him in the better all-around car that we all love.

First thing I told him was that he should probably look at late 2019 and up due to oil pump concerns (I have a 17 with 50k miles with no issues at all but everyone around here knows it's not NOT an issue)

He's not new to performance vehicles or anything like that; has a bad ass built 73 Camaro that he is selling for this one, but one thing he did say is that he would like a stock car. (Willing to make exceptions for right price)

In looking, he found a 2020 with (in my opinion) a monster mod list that is the following: Cam (don't know specs), 2.5 upper, 9.45 lower, DSX low side, BG, and Kooks 2". Car has 16k miles.

Now based on the above, my thoughts were that this car has probably only seen prepped surfaces for a good amount of those 16k miles and has the potential to have every bit of 800-900 wheel and is prob a mid-low 9 second car as it sits. I'm thinking that he should pass on this because of his statement that he wanted more of a stock car and due to how much of a monster this car probably is. Again, he is only considering this due to the discounted price (I'm assuming is due to the extensive mods) compared to similar 2020 with same miles.

So, am I crazy in my thoughts or am I giving sound advice?

TIA for your input!!!
Sounds like good advice, but it also sounds like saving money and getting a bargain is what he really wants. Someone who wants a stock car, wouldn’t consider a totally modded car.
Camfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2023, 09:28 AM   #7
KamZL1

Drives: ZL1
Should have added this in my original post; money is not an issue and I think he would die before getting in a scat pack lol
KamZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2023, 06:57 PM   #8
dbs1

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Well yeah…
dbs1 is offline   Reply With Quote