#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 09-07-2023, 10:42 AM   #1
Bangkok_ZL1
ZL1 Believer

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1
LTH with stock exhaust behind it

I'm looking for some advice or direction or anything that will assist me with my plan. I can't really bring over to Thailand a complete aftermarket exhaust system. I paid a small fortune just to get headers through customs. So I want to bolt up my stock exhaust (catless) to my 1 7/8" LTHs. Has Anybody done this. I thought I remembered hearing one person done this. Actually, I would really like to keep the secondary cats on. Unfortunately, my preliminary measurements indicate that the Right side Cat would have to be moved back considerably to keep it. The left side almost bolts right up to the collector. Anybody have any information that would either help or be pertinent? Thank you all in Advance.
Attached Images

Bangkok_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2023, 10:24 AM   #2
Bangkok_ZL1
ZL1 Believer

Nada.... That means I'm on my own. Always got to be the pioneer.... Now that the Passenger side (the easy side) BMR motor mount is in, Time to get "my" driver's side. That would be your passenger side with a steering column added in. Not much room here.... Then I'll weigh my options. Pics when done. I pray it's not frankenstein-esque....
Old 09-10-2023, 11:20 AM   #3
CalgaryZL1

Drives: 2020 Chevy Camaro ZL1
Might be a bit of Tetris but I think you will get it!
CalgaryZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2023, 11:30 AM   #4
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangkok_ZL1 View Post
Nada.... That means I'm on my own. Always got to be the pioneer.... Now that the Passenger side (the easy side) BMR motor mount is in, Time to get "my" driver's side. That would be your passenger side with a steering column added in. Not much room here.... Then I'll weigh my options. Pics when done. I pray it's not frankenstein-esque....
I have Kooks long tube headers with green cats, attached quite nicely and professionally to my stock NPP exhaust. The work was done by Ted Jannetty's shop, you might want to email them or give them a call at 203-753-7223 and ask for a few tips. If you want to remain catless, the connections will be a different, you will need extra pipes.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2023, 12:26 PM   #5
Bangkok_ZL1
ZL1 Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
I have Kooks long tube headers with green cats, attached quite nicely and professionally to my stock NPP exhaust. The work was done by Ted Jannetty's shop, you might want to email them or give them a call at 203-753-7223 and ask for a few tips. If you want to remain catless, the connections will be a different, you will need extra pipes.
I am doing his 125 kit. KPM, the Aussie company that supports the RHD Camaros does have the high flow cats, but then I'd still have to get their entire system here, and that would be an issue. I'm probably just going to cut them out. I have another 4 years before a physical inspection.... I'll deal with that then. On another note, I might take some welding classes here and have the teacher help me.... for some extra cash of course.
Old 09-11-2023, 12:30 PM   #6
RobZL1
fo'shizZL1

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangkok_ZL1 View Post
I have NO idea how they fit a steering column on that side of the engine bay. They MUST have moved something else. That side of the engine compartment is ridiculous in LHD cars. I can't imagine it in an RHD configuration. Best of luck, brother! Got any pics of the engine bay? I'm really curious now.

Past Rides-
2014 ZL1 M6 Red Hot | Tons of mods
2004 CTS-V M6 Silver | Many mods
1995 Corvette M6 Torch Red | A few more mods
1992 Camaro M5 White | A few mods
RobZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2023, 12:36 PM   #7
Bangkok_ZL1
ZL1 Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobZL1 View Post
I have NO idea how they fit a steering column on that side of the engine bay. They MUST have moved something else. That side of the engine compartment is ridiculous in LHD cars. I can't imagine it in an RHD configuration. Best of luck, brother! Got any pics of the engine bay? I'm really curious now.
I just finished putting in MY passenger side BMR Motor Mount. I can't get MY driver's side OEM motor mount out yet. I pulled the starter. I know I'll need every inch I can get for the headers. They are dimpled for the steering shaft. I already took the two bolts for the mid part of the Steering shaft. But I haven't figured out how to get this boot off cleanly to access the coupler to the rack. I wish there was a tutorial on how to pull this column. I have to be really careful. It's not like I can get new parts easily. The steering system is by HSV. Looking underneath the car, it's obvious it's a custom job from HSV. Send pic of the Engine bay tomorrow.
Old 09-19-2023, 10:28 AM   #8
Bangkok_ZL1
ZL1 Believer

Did a test fit of my Driver's side header today and it almost slid by the Steering shaft. If i could have gotten the number 2 spark plug out, I believe it would have slid past, which would be awesome since I still haven't figured out how to get this Holden Steering conversion apart. I got the two bolts out of the steering shaft. But if I don't have to mess with that boot, and I can just screw those bolts back in, I'll be thrilled. Also, there are a few pieces exposed around the headers. I'm thinking about heat shielding them somehow. Brake lines, it looks like sensors, etc....
Attached Images