Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-10-2012, 11:41 AM   #1
JWoj3540

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS M6
GM Parts Direct

Does GM Parts Direct sell legitimate OEM parts? I just am in question due to how much lower their prices are and how they can get away with it? I'm looking at buying some GFX from there and want to make sure they're not some China knock offs...well even the OEM ones are prob made in China, but you know what I mean. If GM Parts Direct is legit why would we every buy parts from the dealership??
JWoj3540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 11:43 AM   #2
2012 ZL1#1658

Drives: 2012 Camaro ZL1 #1658
They really rip you off with shipping. I wanted the ZL1 floor mats for my car but they were charging $120 (which is ok) for it but shipping was like $80 (what????).
3M Paint Protection

2011 1SS/RS (BLACK on BLACK) <SOLD>
2012 ZL1#1658 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 11:49 AM   #3
Iroc-z86

Drives: 86' Iroc-z 14' Camaro SS 98' Jimmy
they are good on most items. like stated tho they rip you off with shipping/handling. wheel/hub bearing for a 98 blazer is $400 from the dealer... gmpd is $210 with shipping 240~ so in this case its better.

1986 Camaro IROC-Z - 305 TPI, cammed, GMMG exhaust, t56 6Spd swap, custom headlights with halos
Iroc-z86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 11:50 AM   #4
JWoj3540

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS M6
Ohh that is interesting. They are definitely in Asia then
JWoj3540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 12:05 PM   #5
SS4PK

Drives: 2010SS
not in Asia, if they were it would be 460 yen.

Her Hot Rod.
SS4PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 12:07 PM   #6
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
They sell OE GM parts. The prices they show are good, but as stated above, they really hose you on the shipping!

I can get parts from my local dealer for about the same as their shipped price, sometimes less. Still less than GM list price.
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 12:11 PM   #7
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWoj3540 View Post
Ohh that is interesting. They are definitely in Asia then
If Asia is located in North Carolina, then you'd be right. Otherwise, you're on the wrong continent.

It only seems a ripoff because 99% of the people have no clue how it works. You need to look at how much it costs to put it in your hands. Even with the shipping/handling, a lot of times they're still cheaper.

And they're genuine GM parts. Average savings is around 25% over dealer list prices. If your local dealer does NOT give you a discount, then it's a good place to go. GMPartseast and GMpartsgiant, GMPartshouse (Sorry Patrick, it's true) etc., are still a lot of times more to your door than GMpartsdirect.com.

That said, ALWAYS shop around. GMPartsdirect isn't the quickest in the world. You could wait 15-20 days for your parts depending if they have them in GM warehouses or not. So if you're in a hurry, don't get them there. My local dealer gives me a 25% discount, so I might pay a couple bucks more, but usually they'll have the part the next day or later in the week. So if I need it quick, I don't shop GMpartsdirect. It's not always about price sometimes. If you're in no particular hurry, then it's usually good. Not good for huge parts or a few cheap parts because shipping costs then becomes a real issue.

I've been shopping there for years, and while not ALWAYS the cheapest, they have been in the long run overall for me. Of course, if they have it on hand, I usually see it the next day. But if they have to order something that is on backorder, it holds up the entire order. That kinda sucks.

Always comparison shop. If you don't, you'll pay more for the same thing.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774

Last edited by el ess A; 08-10-2012 at 12:22 PM.
el ess A is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 12:21 PM   #8
amz
Factory Correct

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
I have purchased from them before ,things may take an extra week, but never a problem.
amz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 12:22 PM   #9
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
It's a Chevy Dealer's website. Flow Chevrolet. I've used it a couple times, worked great. The shipping is high, but often still less than local and shipped to your door.

The only down side is good luck talking to someone if something goes wrong. If nothing goes wrong, it's cheap and easy.

It is kinda shady though to pose as "GM Direct" there is nothing direct from GM about it, they are another dealer like the thousands of others. I have a pet peeve about people who pose as something they are not.

Flow Chevrolet Parts Dept Direct would be a more accurate name.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 12:30 PM   #10
J-Dizzle

Drives: 2012 Camaro LS
Just checked it out and yes, they kill on shipping
J-Dizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 12:33 PM   #11
E.T.

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Yeah, parts are OEM right from a Chevy dealer. I recently bought a strut tower brace from them, and the shipping was 35 bucks or something, but the total price was still the best I could find online.

E.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 12:34 PM   #12
Grey Ghost

Drives: 2013 HWSE 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by el ess X View Post
If Asia is located in North Carolina, then you'd be right. Otherwise, you're on the wrong continent.

It only seems a ripoff because 99% of the people have no clue how it works. You need to look at how much it costs to put it in your hands. Even with the shipping/handling, a lot of times they're still cheaper.

And they're genuine GM parts. Average savings is around 25% over dealer list prices. If your local dealer does NOT give you a discount, then it's a good place to go. GMPartseast and GMpartsgiant, GMPartshouse (Sorry Patrick, it's true) etc., are still a lot of times more to your door than GMpartsdirect.com.

That said, ALWAYS shop around. GMPartsdirect isn't the quickest in the world. You could wait 15-20 days for your parts depending if they have them in GM warehouses or not. So if you're in a hurry, don't get them there. My local dealer gives me a 25% discount, so I might pay a couple bucks more, but usually they'll have the part the next day or later in the week. So if I need it quick, I don't shop GMpartsdirect. It's not always about price sometimes. If you're in no particular hurry, then it's usually good. Not good for huge parts or a few cheap parts because shipping costs then becomes a real issue.

I've been shopping there for years, and while not ALWAYS the cheapest, they have been in the long run overall for me. Of course, if they have it on hand, I usually see it the next day. But if they have to order something that is on backorder, it holds up the entire order. That kinda sucks.

Always comparison shop. If you don't, you'll pay more for the same thing.
Dude I love your car!! Looks awesome! My son would love it!
Old 08-10-2012, 01:02 PM   #13
orangejuice
H1 OFCR

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
Thats why they have such low prices. They make there money back on the shipping
ZL1 Hood/Fascia
AAC Afterburners/Sidemarkers
Havoc Black Chrome
5% Tint/20% Smoked Taillights

orangejuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 03:02 PM   #14
clg_98ta

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
They are a GM dealership (Flow Chevrolet iirc) in Winston Salem, North Carolina, so they sell the same parts you'd get from your dealership. S&H is pretty on some parts, so I always compare shipped price with other sources before buying. They're also pretty slow getting parts out, so keep that in mind and buy somewhere else if you need it quick.

That being said, I've used them dozens of times and (knowing what to expect) have always been happy with them. They're still the lowest on the majority of non-trivial stuff I've needed.

clg_98ta is offline   Reply With Quote