Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 12-16-2015, 07:04 PM   #1
Hockeypucks

Drives: 2014 Corvette
My SS Manual Impressions

I don't post a ton on here but I'm reading everything just about everyday. 7 months to the day of being announced to the world I took one out for a spin. I only spent about 10-15 minutes in it since that's all I had on my break but it was worth it. I drove a white 1SS WITHOUT NPP or MRC. Only options appeared to be a moonroof and solid black stripe. Here are my comments in no particular order.

Clutch: Simply awesome. I found the sweet spot to be just perfect and very easy to learn. While I won't say it's feather light it is definitely FAR lighter than V8s of old. I see no problem handling this in traffic.

Seats: Since this was the 1SS I was able to get an idea how the cloth seats felt. They were very comfortable and looked nice but I do think the leather of the 2SS is superior. I'm usually not a fan of leather (unless it's got suede mixed in) but I would prefer the leather seats in this car. At 5' 7" 145lbs I'm on the smaller side so I could definitely use more of a Recaro style seat so hopefully that'll be an option in the future.

Visibility: Seriously? What is everyone complaining about?! Well not everyone, but this seems to be a hot topic. I strongly urge anyone on the fence with this car because of what you read about visibility to just let it go. Perhaps it's because I drive for a living but I found ZERO issues with forward/rearward/side visibility. I was expecting it to be nightmarish but I was able to easily and confidently change lanes multiple times (on a 4 lane crowded highway where the dealership was located), back into spots WITHOUT using the camera, parking next to curbs and being first in line at a red light. Yes the windows are narrow and the windshield seems small but wow, I'm shocked how many people find this car so hard to drive because of visibility issues.

Binnacle: While I don't necessarily like the styling of this binnacle I didn't find it to be a hinderance as far as seeing what's in front of me. I'm a shorter guy and it wasn't an issue at all so this reallys shouldn't be an issue for most out there. Aside from being a bit ugly there really isn't anything wrong with it.

Power: I found this car pulls EXTREMELY well in all gears but I noticed a strong surge while in 3rd. I passed a slow moving vehicle and I was at 65 before I knew it (50 MPH highway). Throttle response is stellar and it just wants to go, no matter what gear you're in. I was cruising at 55 MPH in 6th and got on it a bit and felt the pull of the engine without downshifting. Very impressive, though it's been years since I've driven anything CLOSE to resembling a powerful car ha.

Rev Match: I think this is one feature I will find it hard to be without once I get into a car that has it. On my quick journey I had already gotten used to it and felt it to be an extremely valuable asset. It was instantaneous when activated and just as fast to shut off when not wanted. Awesome feature.

HVAC: I also don't know why anyone would complain about the positioning of the vents. I didn't find them to be anything but stellar and they weren't blowing directly on my shifting hand. I think they did a great job integrating the fan speed and temp into the two dials.

Comfort/Ride: This is tough to remark on since I didn't spend any real length of time in the car but from what I can tell on our lovely Michigan roads it'll be just fine for me. I purposely went down a bumpy sidestreet near the dealership and found the ride to be perfectly acceptable for a sports car. I will not be ordering MRC as I just don't want to have potential expensive issues with it in the future. I will say that if you like to drive with your left arm out the window you may not do it too often in this car. Maybe it's because I'm short but it wasn't comfortable for me to do that. I feel the shifter position was great though at times my right elbow seemed to find the spot on the center console where it dips or turns narrow.

Backseat: It's a sports car and I don't ever drive with more than 1 so I could care less about this.

Tech: Nothing to note here as I had the radio off and was only focusing on the drive. And the drive will keep you focused for quite a while haha.

Compared to S550 Mustang GT: I can honestly say I barely remember driving the new Mustang because it didn't leave any lasting memories for me, other than the awful clutch. I do remember feeling an anemic sort of power and was thinking huh, that's it? Not in the Camaro! Instant go and very smooth clutch/shifting.

Final Thoughts: I will be waiting until the spring to make my decision (I'm still unsure if I want to wait and save for a C7 or see what Z variants will come out) but today's drive really made me appreciate the work Chevy has put into this car and if you're at all on the fence about it then you owe it to yourself to get in one now and drive it! Props to Jeanine Bellman at Hamilton Chevrolet in Warren, MI for being very laidback and pressure free. Sorry I didn't get any pics but the one I drove is available as well as a black A8 2SS. 14 mile and Mound in Warren, MI. Thanks for reading, sorry for being long winded but I tend to write lots. Hope this helped someone.
Hockeypucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 07:12 PM   #2
ssyellow1

Drives: Mustang
Nice review!

The Mustang clutch pedal assembly has a helper spring that removes a lot of the "feel" and linear grab. Once that things out its MUCH better.
ssyellow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 07:26 PM   #3
Hockeypucks

Yeah that's what everyone says about that spring. Odd you have to take it out in the first place. I was very happy with the feel of the Camaro clutch.
Old 12-16-2015, 07:35 PM   #4
ssyellow1

Drives: Mustang
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypucks View Post
Yeah that's what everyone says about that spring. Odd you have to take it out in the first place. I was very happy with the feel of the Camaro clutch.
I came from a 2009 Cobalt SS turbo and even with it out the clutch feels pretty light. They made it for people who complain about clutches being too heavy I guess, mine was gone within 24 hours of purchasing the car :roll eyes:
ssyellow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 12:44 AM   #5
Omar1

Drives: 2016 2SS Red Hot
Great review!
Only time I'm ever exposed to any type of real power is when I drive my dad's V8 Ford F150. It's going to be interesting getting used to the power and weight of the new Camaro . I learned how to drive stick on a 95 Cheyenne we used to have but it was totaled almost 2 1/2 years ago. Hope I'm not too rusty with the clutch.
Old 12-17-2015, 04:24 AM   #6
Dr. Love2
Account Suspended

Drives: 2016 SS;2010 Camaro SS/RS; 2015 Z06
Thank you for the information. I have to agree with just about everything the OP said.

Who needs a backseat? You know what you get when you get a two door anything. I didn't drive anything when my kids were smaller and I had to haul them around unless it had four doors. My DD was a Dodge Intrepid for a very long time, while my 2010 Camaro sat in the garage for the occasional use. They did NOT get in it!

Since I now have the 6th gen and can compare it to my 5th gen, I can't believe anyone wouldn't trade up. It is a remarkable car and so much fun to drive in comparison. It is tight and compact. It doesn't feel like it lumbers down the road at all.

I would recommend the manual, only because I have the A8 in my Corvette. The Z06 is very boring when just driving around town, but is a beast on the track - nice trade off. My Camaro is more for cruising, and the occasional autocross/track day. Rev match is awesome and if you have tried to heel/toe anything, you know how much better it is when a car can do this for you. The clutch is fine and hill assist is a bonus. I am getting spoiled.

The styling of the car is reminds me of the 70-73 model Camaro. I really love all of the new design cues in comparison to the 5th.

Car drives like a Caddy. Oh wait, maybe because it is based on the CTS platform. My one way drive home after purchasing my car Sunday was 260+ miles. It was smooth, nimble, and fun.

Bonus: Run Flats on mine, tow hook, heated steering wheel - I didn't know it came with those things. It's like getting extra presents on Christmas.

I have to say GM did well and even all of my die hard Ford friends are impressed and can't say anything bad about it. My husband even gushes over it and I haven't even let me drive it yet. LOL.
Dr. Love2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 05:27 AM   #7
laynlo15

Drives: 2022 Lt1 A10
I'm driving a 6speed stick on Saturday, I've been on the fence so I have to try one before I make my decision. I really want an A8 for convenience, I want a stick cause they are much more fun to drive and 1400 cheaper also. I can't find any A8 in the 1ss so, we'll see what happens, I may go the stick route. Thx for your impressions. Very helpful
2022 Lt1 6.2 A10, Maggie 2300, THPSI Port Inj/10 rib, Rotofab, E, Nickey, SCOL, Griptech, RC Bandits, Hoosiers/MT 9.80@142.96 1.44 60ft, 6.34@112 707/669 RWHP/TRQ. 16SS Maggie 2650 9.41@147 1.35 60ft, 5.99@119. 16 C7 A8 10.90@128 Bolt on stuff
laynlo15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 09:17 AM   #8
Nawambo

Drives: 2023 Kia EV6 GT (577hp!)
Great read, thank you!
2013 Boss 302 (Sold)
2006 STI (Sold)
Track and Rally Partners
Nawambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 10:55 AM   #9
Hockeypucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by laynlo15 View Post
I'm driving a 6speed stick on Saturday, I've been on the fence so I have to try one before I make my decision. I really want an A8 for convenience, I want a stick cause they are much more fun to drive and 1400 cheaper also. I can't find any A8 in the 1ss so, we'll see what happens, I may go the stick route. Thx for your impressions. Very helpful
Go with manual, it's a great choice!
Old 12-17-2015, 01:07 PM   #10
LionMaro

Drives: 2011 Silver Ice 1SS Camaro
Ha I just inquired yesterday about the car you drove. I saw it at that dealership on my way to the GM tech center and thought about stopping for a test drive. I'm glad you enjoyed it!
I am an front of vehicle engineer for the alpha platform vehicles
LionMaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 01:18 PM   #11
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
I've only been able to drive an auto SS, non of the dealers near me have one with a manual that isn't sold yet...

The auto was nice for an auto, but I'm itching to row my own gears.
SS 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 01:39 PM   #12
Hockeypucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionMaro View Post
Ha I just inquired yesterday about the car you drove. I saw it at that dealership on my way to the GM tech center and thought about stopping for a test drive. I'm glad you enjoyed it!
I am an front of vehicle engineer for the alpha platform vehicles
She said someone from Ohio inquired about it but that wouldn't be you ha. I feel bad for whoever buys it because whoever sat in it before me scratched up the door sill and left their greasy hand prints all over the door. Sad.
Old 12-17-2015, 01:41 PM   #13
Hockeypucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUMMIT WHITE SS View Post
I've only been able to drive an auto SS, non of the dealers near me have one with a manual that isn't sold yet...

The auto was nice for an auto, but I'm itching to row my own gears.
They had an auto 2SS next to the one I drove but I had no desire to drive that. I just can't see how the auto would be more fun unless you're physically unable to enjoy a such a smooth clutch and shifter.
Old 12-17-2015, 02:06 PM   #14
Sledgehammer70
Lethal Camaro

Drives: 16 2SS, 71 Std, Suburban RTS
Quote:
Visibility: Seriously? What is everyone complaining about?! Well not everyone, but this seems to be a hot topic. I strongly urge anyone on the fence with this car because of what you read about visibility to just let it go. Perhaps it's because I drive for a living but I found ZERO issues with forward/rearward/side visibility. I was expecting it to be nightmarish but I was able to easily and confidently change lanes multiple times (on a 4 lane crowded highway where the dealership was located), back into spots WITHOUT using the camera, parking next to curbs and being first in line at a red light. Yes the windows are narrow and the windshield seems small but wow, I'm shocked how many people find this car so hard to drive because of visibility issues.
This!!!

Great review.
Sledgehammer70 is offline   Reply With Quote