Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Phastek Performance

Old 07-06-2018, 09:23 AM   #1
Vsoles

Drives: 2016 Summit White 2 SS
Unhappy SOMETHING ISN'T RIGHT ABOUT MY TEXAS SPEED HEADER INSTALL (COULD USE HELP!)

What's going on everyone? I recently got my Texas Speed 1 7/8 headers and x-pipe installed on my car earlier this week. I'm highly impressed with the quality and my car truly sounds like a v8 now, if anyone is on the fence. Anyway immediately after my installation I noticed that my steering wheel felt different. As I got on the gas my steering wheel became very tight and won't return to it's neutral position after turning corners. Feels like my forearms are getting a work out when I drive my car and it's bothering the hell out of me. I went with a well reputable shop, but the guys insisted using the stock steering column bolt besides the one provided since one brother vouched for the other that he has plenty of experience with 6 Gens. Granted the only thing touching my headers is 2 spark plug wire boots, but still is there any explanation for this? Any help is much appreciated! I went ahead and ordered another bolt from TSP btw and I also unplugged my battery to see if it would reset
Vsoles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 09:41 AM   #2
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
The stock steering shaft bolt is hitting a primary on the header. Common issue with TSP headers. They are suppose to use the button head bolt that clears.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 09:58 AM   #3
Vsoles

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
The stock steering shaft bolt is hitting a primary on the header. Common issue with TSP headers. They are suppose to use the button head bolt that clears.
Truly hope that this is the problem. I'm sure they tossed the original to the side or whatever the case may be. I will find out first thing tomorrow morning, but I ordered another bolt anyways. Great way to start of my 30's smh!
Old 07-06-2018, 11:06 AM   #4
jdasnt3

Drives: 18 Silverado 1500
So the bolts that needed to be used weren't used because one brother "vouched" that the other brother has plenty of experience on 6th gens? It sounds like when everything was cold, it had clearance, but now that it has heated up it doesn't. Hence the need for the included bolts regardless of how much "vouching" went on.

Sorry that you paid all that good money and had an issue with the install, OP. I'm sure they'll take care of you, but it shouldn't have happened in the first place. Are you using high temp boots for the plugs? If not, some on here have had heat issues on the plug wires.
Old 07-06-2018, 11:17 AM   #5
Vsoles

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdasnt3 View Post
So the bolts that needed to be used weren't used because one brother "vouched" that the other brother has plenty of experience on 6th gens? It sounds like when everything was cold, it had clearance, but now that it has heated up it doesn't. Hence the need for the included bolts regardless of how much "vouching" went on.

Sorry that you paid all that good money and had an issue with the install, OP. I'm sure they'll take care of you, but it shouldn't have happened in the first place. Are you using high temp boots for the plugs? If not, some on here have had heat issues on the plug wires.
Pretty much. When I mentioned it to them they assured me that it wasn't needed. It's all good man, it's always my luck. They don't have a choice cause I can barely drive my car. I'm going to look into the msd spark wires with the 45 and 90 degree angles
Old 07-06-2018, 12:03 PM   #6
parbreak

Drives: 2017 50th Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vsoles View Post
Pretty much. When I mentioned it to them they assured me that it wasn't needed. It's all good man, it's always my luck. They don't have a choice cause I can barely drive my car. I'm going to look into the msd spark wires with the 45 and 90 degree angles
I would still put heat sleeves on the wires. I used DEI.
50th Anniversary Edition |Borla Atak and 60606 mid pipes| Kooks 1 7/8" | ProCharger Stage II |305/45/17 DRs | Circle D 3500 stall | LT4 fueling | Custom made Lowside Aux Pump | Alky Control Meth | DSX E85
parbreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 01:23 PM   #7
avalonandl

Drives: 2019 ZL-1
Dude your steering is binding.. VERY UNSAFE

2012 Yukon XL Denali w/ 6.2 AWD
avalonandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 03:00 PM   #8
Vsoles

Quote:
Originally Posted by parbreak View Post
I would still put heat sleeves on the wires. I used DEI.
Ill look into it
Old 07-06-2018, 03:01 PM   #9
Vsoles

Quote:
Originally Posted by avalonandl View Post
Dude your steering is binding.. VERY UNSAFE
I don't know how to fix it man. Really sucks! Hopefully everything will be fine once I replace that bolt.
Old 07-06-2018, 06:48 PM   #10
EMTNLSS

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
I have these headers also and only get rubbing on hard right turns. I can barely feel it in the steering wheel and it gets tighter. This is with the bolt replaced. I'm not sure if it's the actual header rubbing or maybe the other stock bolt. I need to contact TSP and see what they say.

Current Mods: Catch Can | aFe Lowering Springs | GM 2nd Gen Splitter | Hotchkis Sway Bars | MRR FS02 Wheels | Flowmaster Exhaust | Dark Tail Lights | Diode Dynamics Sidemarkers | Roto Fab | Solar TB | PRAY Ported IM | BMR | PRAY Tune

Upcoming Mods:
EMTNLSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 11:37 AM   #11
Vsoles

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMTNLSS View Post
I have these headers also and only get rubbing on hard right turns. I can barely feel it in the steering wheel and it gets tighter. This is with the bolt replaced. I'm not sure if it's the actual header rubbing or maybe the other stock bolt. I need to contact TSP and see what they say.
I’m at a point where I want to take them right back off. The muffler shop where I got them installed has no clue what’s causing the problem
Old 07-07-2018, 03:25 PM   #12
Goohead
Horsepower whisperer

Drives: Camaro
Having issues with a 2” set as well, was shipped the wrong bolt, also the mid of steering shaft is constantly touching the headers

Waiting on them to get a set in to hopefully replace
Attached Images

Goohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 07:55 PM   #13
EMTNLSS

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goohead View Post
Having issues with a 2” set as well, was shipped the wrong bolt, also the mid of steering shaft is constantly touching the headers

Waiting on them to get a set in to hopefully replace
Did they say they'll replace it?

Current Mods: Catch Can | aFe Lowering Springs | GM 2nd Gen Splitter | Hotchkis Sway Bars | MRR FS02 Wheels | Flowmaster Exhaust | Dark Tail Lights | Diode Dynamics Sidemarkers | Roto Fab | Solar TB | PRAY Ported IM | BMR | PRAY Tune

Upcoming Mods:
EMTNLSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 09:20 PM   #14
FIFTY017

Drives: 2018 Silverado Z71 TxEdition
Yup!!! i posted a thread on here a couple mths ago. same issue. mine was running on the bolt which wasnt sent to the performance shop that installed mine. I talked to Russell who was an amazing help. sent me the .40 cent bolt for free overnight. took me 2 sec's to swap out and no issues. now if your getting binding that rubbing the whole steering column thats diff. I have the 6.2. if the bolt is the issue than thats an easy fix.

that last pic does look like the column is literally rubbing the header. mine has a pinkie width after i replaced the bolt.
FIFTY017 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
help me please, texas speed & performance, texas speed headers