Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 05-24-2024, 03:38 PM   #1
jd2021

Drives: 2023 Camaro SS1LE
Huron Speed Twincharge

I was just browsing the Huron site and I noticed that not only did they add a twincharge option for the ZL1, but they're also coming out with a single turbo option. Thoughts? I would feel sorry for those little LT4 cooler bricks 🤣.
jd2021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 06:18 PM   #2
dreksnot
Served USN - Atomic Chimp

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 1LE A10 (stock)
I corresponded with Jon earlier this year about the twincharge setup they worked on. To my knowledge, it's only been on one car, and they didn't receive much input from the owner that it was installed on. Not sure how to think about that. Like you, I just saw they put the twincharge setup on their website, for sale. It looks pretty easy to install but I don't know or have anyone with experience to ask about how the twin turbo fed LT4 supercharger would behave. I know the SC is just an air pump, and what air, or compressed air, you have in front of it should just get more compressed (at a more efficient rate of 1.4:1). All that said, I'm on the fence about how it could perform without being able to chat with experienced folks that installed/tuned/ran with it. Jon said that at lower boost, an intercooler wasn't needed and the ZL1 kit doesn't include one like on the SS kit. I guess there's always a meth/water injection option if it is an issue.

One thing I keep hearing (from opinions, not actual users) is that the SC will be a restrictor for airflow. Other places I've seen that it doesn't matter as the SC will just compress what air that goes in.

I'd love to have me some low end torque with the SC, and some high end power with the TT. Best of both worlds - have my cake and eat it too.

In excess of 1,000WHP
LSX434 | AGP 65/65 TT | BTR Equalizer Intake | Trickflow 245cc cathedral | BTR custom cam | Cortex EBC | n2mb WOT | ID-1700x | Brisk GR12S | RPM Lv 7 TR6060 | AGP's Triple 525LPH Fore Fuel | Monster LT1-S Triple | 4.11 DSS Proform 9", CF driveshaft, 1400hp axles | Hurst Line Lock | MGW Retro Short Throw w/old skool Hurst T-handle | ADM solid subframe mounts | Prothane Motor Mounts | Revshift Poly Trans insert | Moreno camber/caster plates
dreksnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2024, 11:22 PM   #3
dreksnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd2021 View Post
I was just browsing the Huron site and I noticed that not only did they add a twincharge option for the ZL1, but they're also coming out with a single turbo option. Thoughts? I would feel sorry for those little LT4 cooler bricks 🤣.
You see they’re having a group buy sale right now?

In excess of 1,000WHP
LSX434 | AGP 65/65 TT | BTR Equalizer Intake | Trickflow 245cc cathedral | BTR custom cam | Cortex EBC | n2mb WOT | ID-1700x | Brisk GR12S | RPM Lv 7 TR6060 | AGP's Triple 525LPH Fore Fuel | Monster LT1-S Triple | 4.11 DSS Proform 9", CF driveshaft, 1400hp axles | Hurst Line Lock | MGW Retro Short Throw w/old skool Hurst T-handle | ADM solid subframe mounts | Prothane Motor Mounts | Revshift Poly Trans insert | Moreno camber/caster plates
Old 05-31-2024, 12:12 PM   #4
jd2021

Drives: 2023 Camaro SS1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreksnot View Post
You see they’re having a group buy sale right now?
Yep, I would definitely be interested if I had the spare cash right now.
jd2021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2024, 02:06 PM   #5
Katech_Mike

Drives: 2015 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
One thing I keep hearing (from opinions, not actual users) is that the SC will be a restrictor for airflow. Other places I've seen that it doesn't matter as the SC will just compress what air that goes in.
I don't have any experience with twin charging either but I do know that the Hellcat platform has had good success with twin charging. Ripatuned seems to be installing quite a few setups like this and posts big numbers with track times to back them up.

Last edited by Katech_Mike; 05-31-2024 at 03:15 PM.
Katech_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2024, 04:12 PM   #6
dreksnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katech_Mike View Post
I don't have any experience with twin charging either but I do know that the Hellcat platform has had good success with twin charging. Ripatuned seems to be installing quite a few setups like this and posts big numbers with track times to back them up.
I've been teetering a twin-charge setup. I've ran twins (only) with great success on my earlier LSx platform and understand quite a bit about the pros/cons for making power and also problems associated with turbos. If the Hello Kitty twin-charging success forefronts what a LT4 Camaro setup could do, I'd jump on the wagon quickly. BUT, there just hasn't been anyone to converse with that's had the experience. The theory is there, but I'd like to hear experience. I did just send Jon at Huron a few more questions about this.

In excess of 1,000WHP
Old 05-31-2024, 04:25 PM   #7
CamaroDreams76
Tri-County Camaro SWFL

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
I corresponded with Jon earlier this year about the twincharge setup they worked on. To my knowledge, it's only been on one car, and they didn't receive much input from the owner that it was installed on. Not sure how to think about that. Like you, I just saw they put the twincharge setup on their website, for sale. It looks pretty easy to install but I don't know or have anyone with experience to ask about how the twin turbo fed LT4 supercharger would behave. I know the SC is just an air pump, and what air, or compressed air, you have in front of it should just get more compressed (at a more efficient rate of 1.4:1). All that said, I'm on the fence about how it could perform without being able to chat with experienced folks that installed/tuned/ran with it. Jon said that at lower boost, an intercooler wasn't needed and the ZL1 kit doesn't include one like on the SS kit. I guess there's always a meth/water injection option if it is an issue.

I'd love to have me some low end torque with the SC, and some high end power with the TT. Best of both worlds - have my cake and eat it too.
Back when I owned my Saturn that was the cool thing to do. LSJ supercharger and a single....... or the Harrop TVS and a single. Supercharger always became the limiting factor. The blades only spin so fast and can only compress so much air.
Old 05-31-2024, 04:56 PM   #8
dreksnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams76 View Post
Back when I owned my Saturn that was the cool thing to do. LSJ supercharger and a single....... or the Harrop TVS and a single. Supercharger always became the limiting factor. The blades only spin so fast and can only compress so much air.
That's one of my questionable dilemmas - how much compressed air can you feed the LT4 SC before it becomes a bottleneck? At first, I was not thinking to do much, like maybe 4psi, just to get me at top of the stock LT4 fuel system capacity (near 700whp) [in a twin-charge setup, the SC will reap a greater compression ratio, like a 1.4x (feeding 3psi air from the turbos into the SC yields 4.2psi output from the SC) resulting in 12psi total boost for me at Mile High altitude]. Then, when DSX releases the Atlas (think that's the name I saw somewhere) PI system (HPTuner programmable), and installing a larger capable LPFP, get closer to the limits of the A10 or motor (800-1,000whp).

In excess of 1,000WHP
Old 06-01-2024, 06:43 AM   #9
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
I assume it would work "better" on the Hellcat because they have a much larger supercharger to start with. I think you would need to X port the stock blower and at that point I would probably just sell the stock blower, put a BTR Trinity or something in its place and pocket a few dollars.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2024, 10:47 AM   #10
dreksnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
I assume it would work "better" on the Hellcat because they have a much larger supercharger to start with. I think you would need to X port the stock blower and at that point I would probably just sell the stock blower, put a BTR Trinity or something in its place and pocket a few dollars.
There are so many other things that make plenty more sense to do... Let's not get rational.

This would be a challenge to get dialed in with the how-power-comes-on charger deliveries in harmony. But, if one could do just that - this could be a humongous feat (or a total dump for money and time).

Like you mentioned, if all else fails, could pull the SC and just run twins for the power-adder to make the same peak HP. But, would lose the low end that the SC would have provided in the delivery curve. With the A10 and where it decides to shift and power-bands, could work just fine except during a launch (albeit there's brake boosting).

In excess of 1,000WHP