Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 05-27-2024, 02:27 PM   #15
Allez

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenargo57 View Post

Some of them are bored kids. I think you're overestimating the abilities of thieves who've been stealing Camaros recently. All they have to do is buy a tool online, smash your window and plug it into your OBD2 port and they're gone in a few minutes. There's no technical skills involved.
I'd say there's a difference between bored kids and motivated kids. Have you watched the videos showing these thefts? These are motivated kids who have acquired the specialized devices needed specifically for the purpose of stealing these cars, and they know exactly how to do it. The videos do not show some random kid trying to figure this out on the spot.
Allez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2024, 02:59 PM   #16
tenargo57

Drives: Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allez View Post
I'd say there's a difference between bored kids and motivated kids. Have you watched the videos showing these thefts? These are motivated kids who have acquired the specialized devices needed specifically for the purpose of stealing these cars, and they know exactly how to do it. The videos do not show some random kid trying to figure this out on the spot.

You're underestimating how easy they are to steal. From the article I linked:

Quote:
The device is essentially a hand-held computer that enables the user to create a replacement smart key — using a new key fob — that can unlock Camaros and other vehicles, bypassing the vehicle’s existing security system, investigators said. Once the user punches in the make, model and year of the vehicle into the computer, it is then able to reprogram the car’s ignition system and generate a new or universal car key.

I don't know what videos you're referring to and I'm not sure what that proves. Organized theft rings running chop shops also exist? That doesn't change the fact that kids were caught stealing Camaros and selling them for only a few grand on facebook because it's so easy to do. Burying your head in the sand and pretending like kids knowing how to buy things from Amazon makes them sophisticated thieves is what led to this in the first place.
tenargo57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2024, 03:07 PM   #17
Need4Camaro

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS & '99 Camaro Z28
Quote:

Some of them are bored kids. I think you're overestimating the abilities of thieves who've been stealing Camaros recently. All they have to do is buy a tool online, smash your window and plug it into your OBD2 port and they're gone in a few minutes. There's no technical skills involved.
Probably not much in the way of skill as much as finece to do it quietly and quickly.

I just ordered an OBD Port lock. I hate that it has to come to this but unfortunately I heard of a guy near me in Austin TX who had his SS stolen this way.

My Car mostly sits in the garage but you can never be too careful.

Probably going to need a fuel pump disabler too.
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2024, 03:24 PM   #18
Allez

Quote:
You're underestimating how easy they are to steal. From the article I linked:

I don't know what videos you're referring to and I'm not sure what that proves. Organized theft rings running chop shops also exist? That doesn't change the fact that kids were caught stealing Camaros and selling them for only a few grand on facebook because it's so easy to do. Burying your head in the sand and pretending like kids knowing how to buy things from Amazon makes them sophisticated thieves is what led to this in the first place.
My point is not to underestimate the people who are stealing these cars. Do you think it's OK to post step by step instructions and pictures here about exactly how we're all trying to protect our cars, since these are just some stupid kids who would never figure out to look here?

My point is there's a difference between a kid who tries to steal a car and is stymied by a countermeasure, and a kid who tries to steal a car and knows how to get around countermeasures because everything's been posted online.
Old 05-27-2024, 04:35 PM   #19
tenargo57

Drives: Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allez View Post
My point is not to underestimate the people who are stealing these cars. Do you think it's OK to post step by step instructions and pictures here about exactly how we're all trying to protect our cars, since these are just some stupid kids who would never figure out to look here?.
Those kids are not the ones you have to worry about browsing the forum and figuring out how a wiring harness is spliced together. They're the equivalent of script kiddies, just like the Kia boys. I know that organized theft rings running chop shops exist. My comment was regarding your statement about "these aren't some bored kids" not being accurate, and according to the LAPD they're responsible for the recent surge in Camaro thefts.

With that being said, I think some general instructions are fine, but I wouldn't show exactly where I relocate the OBD2 port or mount a kill switch. Without knowing exactly what measures have been taken and how they're implemented even a technically proficient thief is going to need a lot of time to figure that out.
tenargo57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2024, 05:16 PM   #20
Allez

Quote:
With that being said, I think some general instructions are fine, but I wouldn't show exactly where I relocate the OBD2 port or mount a kill switch. Without knowing exactly what measures have been taken and how they're implemented even a technically proficient thief is going to need a lot of time to figure that out.
Agreed.
Old 05-28-2024, 09:29 AM   #21
crazedmodder

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by HartfordRacingCaptain View Post
Had the 'ol snippy-snappy done. Now any thieves will be shooting blanks. Lower chance for unexpected accidents for me.

This is a really fantastic idea. I got an OBD lock for mine but I think I like the change of connector more!
crazedmodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2024, 09:54 AM   #22
TurboC3

Drives: 23 ZL1, 08 C6 vert, 70 Skylark GSX
Confirmed. Removing #29 fuse, in trunk, for OBD connector will NOT prevent a key being made.
TurboC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2024, 10:33 AM   #23
L2SS455

Drives: VOM 2022 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboC3 View Post
Confirmed. Removing #29 fuse, in trunk, for OBD connector will NOT prevent a key being made.
We are dealing with this from the wrong end of this (Horse). GM needs to be held accountable for their software, period!
L2SS455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2024, 08:16 PM   #24
speedyink1

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS 1LE 6MT
Taking counter measures while we wait for GM is 100% reasonable and probably recommended.
speedyink1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2024, 09:46 PM   #25
DamonZ28

Drives: 2020 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazedmodder View Post
This is a really fantastic idea. I got an OBD lock for mine but I think I like the change of connector more!
Or do both. Relocate the working OBD connector, install a fake one in its place, and put a lock on the fake one. Even if they remove the lock, they'll come to yet another dead end.
RUXIFEY Smoked LED Side Marker Lights / Black SS emblem on rear bumper / Blue SS vinyl overlay on front bumper emblem / Wildhammer Rear Dark Reflectors / Trim Illusion Gloss Black Door Handle Covers / eBay Black Fuel Door / Screaming Chicken Fender Hash Marks / Color-Matched G2 Caliper Paint
RE Audio RFX10D4 10" Sub / Hand-made sub enclosure / Hifonics Zeus ZRX1200.1D amp / JL Audio LoC-22 line output converter / Sub Thump Plug N Play T-Harness With ANC Defeat Harness Kit

My Camaro Journal
DamonZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote