Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-26-2024, 12:41 PM   #1
Kamero6

Drives: 6th Gen LT1
We all have mushy brake pedals?

I just want to confirm that the mushy pedal is normal. I just came from a long trip and drove a bunch of new rental cars. When I hopped in the LT1 again I was happy to have all the extra power, but my first feeling was "the brakes are mushy..."

I don't think there is a problem. The car is less than a year old.
But if you guys all have firm pedals, I might try to bleed the brakes to see if it have some air from factory.
Temp gun on the rotors its perfect, left and right are between 2 degrees difference.
Kamero6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2024, 01:03 PM   #2
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamero6 View Post
I just want to confirm that the mushy pedal is normal. I just came from a long trip and drove a bunch of new rental cars. When I hopped in the LT1 again I was happy to have all the extra power, but my first feeling was "the brakes are mushy..."

I don't think there is a problem. The car is less than a year old.
But if you guys all have firm pedals, I might try to bleed the brakes to see if it have some air from factory.
Temp gun on the rotors its perfect, left and right are between 2 degrees difference.
Some people have found air in the lines from the factory, I would bleed the brakes...
After delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph... BOTH are a lot of fun to operate...
2SS Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2024, 01:14 PM   #3
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
+1 for doing a bleed. Upgraded lines and Brembo fluid made a really big difference in pedal feel.
Old 05-26-2024, 03:04 PM   #4
Kamero6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS Capt View Post
Some people have found air in the lines from the factory, I would bleed the brakes...
Thanks, I will do that as soon as I can get some OEM brake fluid from the dealer.

I was searching the forum and found that you installed steel braided lines, have you felt any substantial difference in the brake pedal feeling?
Old 05-26-2024, 03:07 PM   #5
Kamero6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC113 View Post
+1 for doing a bleed. Upgraded lines and Brembo fluid made a really big difference in pedal feel.
The car is barely 1 year old. I will asses after doing the bleed. I really don't want to change the original lines yet.

There's no reason for this car to be any different to any other economy car, in terms of brake pedal feel.
Old 06-07-2024, 06:13 PM   #6
Ventmaster

Drives: 2017 1SS 6spd
Don't know if Chevy is putting DOT4 in the LT1's, but if not, I'd recommend upgrading to Motul 660 or equivalent DOT4 as mentioned in this old how-to post:
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=545244

While my pedal was never "mushy" it did fell decidedly firmer after a thorough bleed following these directions. Read it thru, there are a couple corrections made from the initial post. The 2017 SS's came with DOT3 fluid and it's compatible with DOT4 so there's no drama to switch.
Ventmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2024, 01:30 AM   #7
Kamero6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventmaster View Post
Don't know if Chevy is putting DOT4 in the LT1's, but if not, I'd recommend upgrading to Motul 660 or equivalent DOT4 as mentioned in this old how-to post:
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=545244

While my pedal was never "mushy" it did fell decidedly firmer after a thorough bleed following these directions. Read it thru, there are a couple corrections made from the initial post. The 2017 SS's came with DOT3 fluid and it's compatible with DOT4 so there's no drama to switch.
The soft pedal and long travel started after a month of the car sitting. I drove it and after a couple of days the issue is gone I would say. Makes me think there's something in the master cylinder that's not right. it wouldn't be the first time that a master cylinder is bad from factory.

But the part is $100 so I'm not battling the dealer and warranty. They will screw up something else. Plus waste my time.

I will give an update after doing the bleed.