View Single Post
Old 12-27-2019, 11:36 AM   #85
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
What is the difference between the three NA V8 Camaros?

Looking around the weight difference with the same options like transmission and sun roof is around 100 pounds. The LT1 model is most likely 50-75 pounds lighter than the 1SS. The 2SS 1LE is the heaviest V8 NA Camaro. The 1LE package add roughly another 100 pounds to the SS.

So I weighed my 2016 M6 loaded sunroof 2ss with 1/4 tank of gas: 3,685 pounds.
Comparable Weights:
  • M6 2SS 1LE: 3,785 pounds
  • M6 2SS: 3,685 pounds
  • M6 1SS 1LE: 3,685 pounds
  • M6 1SS: 3,585 pounds
  • M6 LT1: 3,535 pounds
So with similar options and driver at the drag strip LT (with SS wide rear tires) > 1SS > 2SS.
All things being equal driver, tires, track, and air each 100 pounds is = .1 in the 1/4. Also weight affects the polar inertia of the car. So depending on which Camaro you drive some will have better handling responses to your driving input.
The LT1 which has the SS suspension will feel the lightest and so on. The 1LEs are a nice step up from the LT1/SS in handling, but the feel is not that different on the street. However the 1LE is amazing that it is not a penalty box to drive. MRC really helps here I think.

LT1 hardware:
  • SS suspension
  • SS engine cooling
  • Brembo front brakes
  • All season tires
  • V8 differential
  • No Tow bar threads
  • No MRC
  • No Hud
  • Base Camaro Interior
  • No heated seats
  • No Track Mode steering/engine selection
  • NPP optional
1SS Hardware:
  • SS suspension
  • SS engine cooling
  • Brembo front and rear brakes
  • Trans and diff coolers
  • Summer tires
  • Base Camaro Interior
  • No heated seats
  • MRC optional
  • NPP optional
  • HUD and EDiff only with the 1LE option
2SS Hardware:
  • SS suspension
  • SS engine cooling
  • Brembo front and rear brakes
  • Trans and diff coolers
  • Summer tires
  • Upscale Camaro Interior
  • NPP optional
  • V8 differential
  • MRC optional
  • Hud
  • Bose
  • 2 zone HVAC
  • Heated/cooled seats
  • Cool interior lighting
  • NPP optional
  • Ediff with the 1LE option

All 3 NA V8 Camaros are world class handling cars All will stop about the same on the same tires. But the rear Brembos on the SS will provide a little more time on a race track. But as the fronts are more important to stopping they have less effect than the 6 pistons on the 1LE. The extra cooling on the SS helps you stay out on the track longer at higher speeds. On the street there is very little difference.

But of course performance is not the only reason we buy these cars. And the 2SS advantages over the 1SS are:
  • A nicer interior
  • Heated and cooled seats
  • Hud
  • 2 zone HVAC
  • Cooler lighting
  • Bigger dash pad and Bose
If these things mean a lot to you then enough said. But to the rest of the world they cannot tell the difference between the two SS versions. Except the 1LE looks cooler with the blacked out hood and the huge tires. People notice that.

As for the LT1 it still looks good to me with the car showing better the clean lines of the Camaro. And I like the sleeper effect. I went to look at an LT1 with nice wheels in silver grey and to me looked great.

As to the sleeper effect I had to explain to the salesman that this Camaro I am sitting in has a V8. LOL. He was shocked.

Last edited by Fraxum; 12-27-2019 at 01:52 PM.
Fraxum is offline   Reply With Quote