View Single Post
Old 01-26-2018, 09:48 PM   #164
travislambert

Drives: '17 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleL View Post
Im not denying the m6 is equal to, much less better, in the 1/4. My question was just how can an ss m6, even though slower, run within a couple tenths of an a8 when an m6 zl1 (which has tighter gearing than an m6 ss) is around .5-.7 slower?
Totally agree with the transmission vs. performance comments. The 1/4 mile performance delta between the A10 and M6 is suspiciously large. I'd add this slightly different comparison too...The A10 ZL1 is capable of running ~1 second faster quarters than the A8 SS, but the M6 ZL1 only runs a couple tenths faster than the M6 SS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleL View Post
I didn’t have a problem launching my m6 c6. The point I was making with that is the driver has the ability to launch the zl1 m6 at a max rpm of 4K. The car makes 650 tq at 3600 rpms. I think it’s a lot easier on a drivetrain launching an auto at 2k rpms (400-500 tq) and rolling into the throttle and/or having the computer step in some than it is dumping the clutch in an m6 at its peak tq rpm. That’s a lot of power hitting the driveline all at once and perhaps GM, in an effort to keep those parts happier longer, took more aggressive steps to minimize that shock.
I'm sure GM has an interest in protecting the driveline, but I wanted to point out that the initial shock still happens. The mechanisms we all feel are getting in the way don't seem to be protecting against the initial shock. The M6 ZL1 actually jumps off of the line pretty good, and then immediately nose dives.

It seems to me like the systems are attempting to help the car maintain/regain traction and ultimately help the driver maintain control. It just doesn't feel like they are tuned optimally.

2023 Camaro SS 1LE A10
2023 Camaro ZL1 1LE M6
2017 Camaro ZL1 M6
2016 Camaro SS M6 w/LT4 (Sold)