View Single Post
Old 06-08-2019, 01:25 PM   #3
Craig

Drives: ‘23 SS1LE
Great topic, and something I’ve been giving a lot of thought as I am in the same boat, so I’ll give you some of my random thoughts.

The only way I’m buying new is if the car is exactly what I want, and there’s essentially no chance that I’ll find the perfect car on a dealer’s lot. If I’m going to compromise on colors and options anyway then I’ll just buy used and avoid some of the depreciation hit. The performance value is exceptional even at sticker price, but resale value on these cars isn’t worth shit.

First off, we’ll never get the discount on a custom order that we will buying one collecting dust on the lot. And these are pretty low margin vehicles to begin with.

There are some LPOs I want, primarily the 1LE suspension upgrade kit for the SS. If I order LPOs from the factory, that profit goes to GM. If I instead order the parts from the dealership, then the profit would stay in-house and I’d like to use that as a selling point. That’s how I’m thinking it works, but hopefully someone with more knowledge can confirm if I’m right or wrong on this.

I personally live in the sticks. I pass the local dealership every day on my commute and they never have more than 2 or 3. The one SS has been there about 6 months and the last two SS’s sold were both on the lot for well over a year. I’ll frame it as taking an allocation for a slow-selling car off their hands, one loaded up with options no less, and giving them a guaranteed sale with zero carrying costs for the delearship since I’ll be taking delivery as soon as the car is inspected and prepped.

Take advantage of all incentives you can. The top-line incentives will be luck of the draw when you take delivery. But also make sure you take advantage of the $2000 Mustang conquest offer. The way I understand it, if you or a family member can produce the title to a 1999 or newer Mustang, as long as you’ve had it at least 30 days, that’s free money. You can find a junker Mustang somewhere for a lot less than $2k, and pocket the difference.

Get the GM Rewards Mastercard immediately. 5% on the first $5000 in annual spending and 2% after that. I route every dime of expense that I can through mine and pay it off monthly. It adds up quick. Not only that, other members have reported getting bonus offers, buy in the next 60 days and get anywhere from $500-2500 off. Anniversary month is noted on the statement so I expect an offer would come then. About two months prior I’ll start looking for a shit Mustang, get connected with a salesman, and start scouting the deal, to the point that I’m ready to finalize the deal and make a cash deposit the day I receive the bonus offer. Now, maybe my car is built and delivered within 60 days, but maybe it’s not. I’ll call card customer service to request extending the offer should the car not make it in time and provide the paperwork showing the deal as made, just to make absolutely sure I’m not shorted.

The #1 tool at your disposal is PATIENCE. Im not expecting to get a great discount off sticker, but I’m prepared to wait (with assumed risk because offers can change at any time) and get every piece put in place. There is a good chunk of 100% free money off out there and I don’t intend to leave a penny of it on the table.
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote