View Single Post
Old 11-07-2017, 07:58 AM   #10
hawk02
Coupe Newbie

Drives: 2017 ZL1, 2021 Corvette Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by h777 View Post
Just wanted an opinion from some of you all on this. Trying to decide if I need winter tires or not. And hopefully it can help others in same position. Live in DC metro area. During winters, temperatures can vary between 30s to 50s during the day. My car is a weekend car and would only drive when there is NO salt on the road and temperatures are above 45 degrees during the day. And of course, no night driving when temps can plummet. Do I really need winter tires? My thinking is that as long as I choose my days wisely with temps atleast 45 degrees, that I should be ok with summer tires. However, want to hear opinions from you all who have experience doing something similar.
Based on your scenario, you'll be fine with the summer tires. I followed basically the same scenario last winter (I did drive a few time when temps were in the 30s) and had no issues with the summer tires.

I do have a set of Sottozeros I will be putting them on my ZL1 in the next week or so. They're wrapped around a set of Factory Replica 5th gen ZL1 wheels. The only reason I didn't put them on last winter is I wanted to show everyone my ZL1 with the stock wheels. Now that most everyone has seen the car, I don't feel the need to keep them on this winter.