View Single Post
Old 09-10-2018, 10:09 PM   #10
JeffFox

Drives: 2018 2SS Coupe A8
Excellent

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwebster View Post
Changes to the circumference of the drive wheels can definitely affect mileage on the odometer. Since warranty is based on odometer readings, it would seem prudent to have a means of re-calibrating the speedometer/odometer. This would prevent extending or shortening the warranty and may also prevent owners from getting speeding tickets in strict enforcement areas.

As for your question on potential effect of tire size on automated systems, I can attest that neither my 27.8" tall Mickey Thompsons (345/35R18 ET Street S/S) nor the 25.9" Hoosiers (335/30R18 DR2 D.O.T. Slick) have triggered any warnings or intervention from Performance Traction Management, ABS, Stabilitrak, or any other systems.

When I first starting looking for replacement DRs I too was worried about intervention, having heard stories implying that some of our automated systems might complain and interfere. After comparing front to rear size difference between stock, MT's, and Hoosiers; and doing simple calculations and other research, I felt the risk was minimal. I was relieved after my road test when there were no negative effects whatsoever.

You can read about my initial search in "Help selecting replacement DRs" and my final selection and testing in "Hoosier DOT Slicks vs MT ET Street SS".

Individual posts from these threads with details and test results:

Rear wheel diameter comparison of stock to previous and prospective DRs

Wheel diameter front-to-rear comparison of stock to previous and prospective DRs

New Hoosiers Mounted, Balanced, Installed, and Tested

--Cal
Cal I love you posts. Perhaps we can have and "Ask Cal" forum
JeffFox is offline   Reply With Quote