View Single Post
Old 04-09-2017, 10:57 PM   #5
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
The mufflers on these cars is doing very little of the actual noise reduction.

Most of the 'muffling' is actually being done by the 4 cats, which are part of the stock exhaust manifolds.

When I did my muffler delete and X pipe (resonator delete), I did not get a huge increase in volume, although I did get some. What I did get was a major increase in sound quality and tone.

The muffler/resonator delete is how the car should have sounded from the factory. It is also one of the cheapest mods you can do and will make a big difference if you are trying to make it sound like a muscle car. I don't believe I got any drone out of it at all. Drone didn't kick in until I put headers on it and removed the cats.

If you have an L99, just be sure not to confuse exhaust drone with the AFM activating. They are 2 seperate things. If you do a muffler delete, you WILL here the AFM activate much more so than with stock exhaust. I wouldn't recommend a muffler delete unless you are either going to tune out the AFM or use a Range device to disable it.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI

Last edited by InFiD3ViL; 04-09-2017 at 11:09 PM.
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote