View Single Post
Old 12-31-2017, 07:00 PM   #30
waterman

Drives: Grandad's C2 L89
Quote:
Originally Posted by JUSTIFIED View Post
Not sure about this prediction. Every Model S requires 54kg of Graphite. China controls 65% of the Graphite market. Many of their mines have been shut down due to horrendous labor practices. I believe we'll face a tougher time obtaining the metals (Cobalt, Lithium, Graphite, etc.) required to make the volume of batteries required to truly scale up, than many believe. That also affects manufacture's ability to bring costs down, which is a prerequisite to making them accessible to the masses.

Also, Tesla owners believe they're saving the environment. They're not. Again, I have nothing against a Tesla. Just tired of the ignorant and arrogant manner in which they thumb their noses at internal combustion cars w/out any clue about the environmental impact of making and disposing of all those batteries.

Edit: As of 7/31/17 EV cars constituted 1% of all car sales. At end of 1H 2016 that number was .75%. Yes, it's a significant increase, but still a drop in bucket from a relative standpoint.

Btw, not trying to argue w/ you. Just countering that article. The EV evangelists will have you believe that EV car sales are really taking off. Not hardly.
Agreed. As a nation we are finally getting to a point where we produce enough oil and natural gas (both efficiently and inexpensively) so that we don't have to buy energy from countries who despise us and want to destroy us.
So that we... can retool and then utilize a new technology that requires us to purchase the needed components from countries who despise us and want to destroy us.... Brilliant! It is as if no one has considered the sizable strategic, ecological, human rights and economic impact of this.

Meanwhile in China and India, more pollutants are introduced into the atmosphere and oceans in 1 week than the US produces in a year.

The big question as you suggested is, where will we dispose of and/or store those highly toxic 600-1200 lb. batteries. Which will start to become a problem very soon.

Sorry for the rant. Way off topic. LOVE ME SOME LT7!