View Single Post
Old 09-15-2022, 10:32 AM   #158
sr71bb

Drives: 2019 Camaro Z-28
BRAKE FAILURE at TRACK

Well at the track yesterday I had a brake failure basically due to my own stupidity so I will share it with you guys so that you can avoid the mistake I made.

I was going 100+ approaching a corner and when I applied the brakes I had NO PEDAL pressure whatsoever. I went off and basically kept the car as straight as posssible so that it wouldnt dig into the dirt and grass sideways. As long a you arent approaching a barrier of some sort it is always best to NOT try and steer the car which might possibly cause one of the tires to dig in and throw it sideways and make it violently change directions.

Anyhow upon inspection AFTER the incident, I had found that the passenger side brake line has come loose. If you look at a post earlier in this thread you will see that I had powdercoated the front calipers. So basically I had removed the brake lines of course at that time to take the caliper assembly off.

Now, where the mistake was made was when I reinstalled the calipers I DID NOT check the position of the brake lines to see if there was enough slack in the lines when the car was steered full left or full right.

So over a period of time, the brake line got loose because it was pulling against the line because there was not enough slack at the full right position. This eventually loosened the line enough where it lost brake pressure on the right caliper entirely.

THERE you have it. A self induced incident. I remember repositioning the brake line to get better access to the caliper 18MM bolts but I forgot to put the line back in its original position. Also remember there is a crush washer on either side of the brake line eyelet (7/16" bolt). If you dont install these properly the line will leak.
https://youtu.be/c9M5UHDftcA
4-15-23 at SCCA TT U1 Class

MEGA Thread on THIS car:
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=602092

Retired Cars BELOW:
1973 Camaro, 1969 Camaro, 1969 Camaro SS RS
2010 Camaro SS with 1000HP F1R, 2019 ZL1 1LE A10
sr71bb is offline   Reply With Quote