View Single Post
Old 04-19-2017, 02:39 PM   #57
LesBaer
FMPG

Drives: 2016 2SS
Just wanted to share my experience so far running drag radials on the street for anyone who may be considering trying this. Some of you might recall that I was trying to decide between purchasing Sport Cup 2's or a set of drag radials. Since I never drive in the rain, I decided to give the DR's a try and had them mounted last Friday.

Conditions:
Sunny, dry, 60-80F

Specs:
Rear - 315/35/20 (Mickey Thompson ET Street S/S)
Rear PSI - 28
Front - 285/30/20 (Michelin Pilot Super Sport)
Front PSI - 28

I started out with them set to 32psi and experimented. Car launched with some wheel spin in 1st but gripped well WOT in 2nd and 3rd in a straight line. It handled well at low speeds and around town. However on the highway, it was very floaty. It felt like the taller sidewall was flexing. Steering was very imprecise during lane changes over 65mph...not recommended.

Dropped the PSI down to 28 all around, which is right above the low pressure warning. On the highway it felt a lot more precise when changing lanes while accelerating. The floaty feeling was gone. I also ran a few back roads, took some exit off ramps at high speed, and the rear end held. I wasn't expecting the same precise handling that I had with the Michelin's in back, but was pleasantly surprised with how much I could comfortably push the car around turns and not lose it. Problem solved

Needless to say, at 28psi it hooked really well with all the nannies off in competitive mode in 1st (MRC was set to Sport). I finally got to feel all that power I added over the winter while rowing through 1st 2nd and 3rd. I know that's what these tires are made for, but just saying "wow" doesn't do it justice. I haven't played much with the various MRC settings yet, but plan to try the softer Tour setting to see if it responds better once I find some better places to test.

Thanks to Snowblind for his recommendation on the tire and PSI. This was more of an experiment for me to feel how much DD handling I'd lose before investing in a dedicated setup with smaller wheels. That's next on my list and I plan on taking the car to the drag strip once I have more experience with it. I really enjoy driving a stick and am more interested in seeing how well I can do vs. just mashing the gas pedal and holding on.
ARH 1 7/8" ceramic coated full sys w/NPP; Maggie 9.2psi (85mm); Jannetty rough idle cam(TSP), tune and LT4 fuel system; Forgeline VX1 Black PVD (20x10,11); R88R 315's; ALPriority; BMR rear arms, bushings, DS loop; RF intake (red); nGauge

93 octane: 712rwhp, 654rwtq / E85 (E66 mix): 734rwhp, 674rwtq (SuperFlow Dyno)
LesBaer is offline   Reply With Quote