View Single Post
Old 09-24-2020, 08:59 AM   #12
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
Workplace (commercial) charging will likely outstrip home charging for some time since it's easier to install chargers at commercial locations than residential. And for employees, you dont need super expensive ultra fast chargers, since you have roughly 8 hours to charge the vehicles and 8 hours is plenty of time to go vastly beyond most commute usage.

But apartments would probably follow fairly quickly once it becomes a need. They dont need 30amp+ amp charging.... low amp chargers would be fine since most vehicles will sit in their parking spots / garages for an entire night without being used. I'm sure adoption will vary based on cost/profit

I dont think it's implausible for new car sales to be restricted to electric only by 2035. The mandate wouldn't do anything about existing cars and used cars except slowly price them out of use during registration and inspection and insurance. So i imagine lower income people (living in places where their landlords aren't adopting electric chargers /etc) will still be able to get by with existing gas powered used cars for a long time.

Figure they have about 15-10 years worth of 2025 to 2034 model cars to use when 2035 comes around.

The people this impacts first are people who buy new cars... and if you're buying new, you're not poor.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote