View Single Post
Old 03-27-2018, 12:31 PM   #28
whiteboyblues2001

Drives: 1SS, A8, MRC, NPP, Blade Spoiler
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
I don't see GM doing a FPC engine. Brand jokes aside, look at the trouble Ford had with the 5.2 keeping it from vibrating itself to pieces before prodcution and look at the issues they seem to be having now. I don't see GM going even bigger for a FPC engine.

As far as the Z/28 possibilities: As of today 3/27/18 I say A and D are the most realistic options.

Option C I could see happening (- the FPC part) with the base engine from the mid engine vette. HOWEVER even though most around here like to say Corvette isn't protected anymore, I doubt an all new engine like that debuts in the Camaro first. How long has GM been rumored to be working on a mid engine vette? I simply don't see anything stealing any thunder from that vehicle whenever it appears.
I agree with you. The only reason I mentioned FPC is that this was part of the initial rumor that seems to be coming true. The things about this rumor that came true so far are: 4.2L of displacement, DOHC, and TT. The parts that are not true (so far) are FPC and being built in Tonawanda. So, since much of the rumor is coming true, I have to give some level of credence to the FPC part.

Myself? I don't think we will see FPC because of the reasons you mentioned above. Folks thought that Ford would have a big challenge getting FPC to work with 5.2L of displacement (and they have had challenges for sure), so 5.5L would be even harder. Also, the new Cadillac engine announcement made no mention of FPC and given the numbers they released (with regards to RPM's), it seems to be a CPC to me. But that doesn't mean they can't go FPC for a N/A version of the 5.5L. But I highly doubt it.

Perhaps on this Friday (the first day of the NY Auto show) they will debut a mid-engine vehicle with a 5.5L DOHC TT 720HP, and a Z/28 with the same.

Or, perhaps there will be both cars, but the Camaro gets a detuned version of the 5.5.

Or, perhaps we won't see a Z/28 at all. We will see a mid-engine something, because we keep seeing mules, but no Z/28 mule has been spotted.
whiteboyblues2001 is offline   Reply With Quote