View Single Post
Old 12-08-2018, 11:16 AM   #86
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97cavy22 View Post
Sad to see him go. I'm not sure the market is ready for the influx of EV's these manufactures are about to put out. I think it's barely 1% of new car sales so Al is taking a risk, and I'm sure being paid more for it. I can see 25% market share in 10 years, even more in the small car/SUV categories for city runabouts. What is odd to me is GM will no longer make the volt, due to slow sales, and I've only seen one Bolt in person, so I doubt it's selling well. Yet they keep allocating money towards these EV's. Why not use that cash to make the Cruze, which did sell quite a few units, more competitive?
The issue with Volt is not so much that it is an extended range EV, but more that it is a $30,000+ sedan in a strong crossover market. I would not be surprised to see a similar propulsion system appear in a compact CUV. As well as compact CUV BEV.

Bolt is selling pretty much at expected level. It is a subcompact, so that alone limits its appeal. GM’s plan is to introduce BEVs in higher volume more popular segments. Imagine an Equinox sized BEV with 200+ mile range priced in the mid-30s. That could sell.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is online now   Reply With Quote