View Single Post
Old 04-22-2018, 11:04 AM   #67
doc7000

Drives: 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matos1LE View Post
You said yourself that chassis is a factor here. Mid engine and weight distribution is also a factor of the chassis and not just the drivetrain itself.

The AWD video was added to illustrate my point that better chassis/drivetrain setups trump hp and that more hp won't make the car better for your goal: straight line racing. Nor for my goal: road course use. Also, you need more than 300 hp to make impressive lap times on a road course as well (since the Vette will never be as light as a Lotus Elise), the issue is that you run into diminishing returns as you increase in number because the chassis can't handle it, nor can the RWD layout. Both our goals would be better served if the C8, mid engine Vette comes with AWD vs just 800hp it can't put down. Before anyone says the Vette has always been RWD, I will throw it out there that the Vette has also always been front engine. If one can change, so can the other. Can it be an option, sure. Make a drag pack like the Demon, but I suspect GM would choose a Camaro for its Demon competitor and not a Vette.
On a roll race AWD is a liability and not an asset, the DCT transmission along with gearing is why the ZR1 Corvette lost in that race. The car that holds the ring lap time record is a RWD and rear engine car and not some mid engine AWD car. It is marketing that has sold us on mid engine AWD DCT cars being the way of the future when in reality this isn't what is happening in the world. When I look at the top 10 lap times at VIR on fastlaptimes only two of them are AWD cars with 8 of them being RWD. 5 of them are front or front mid ship with 4 of them being mid engine and 1 being rear engine.

Cherry picked data is great for trying to win arguments but when you look at all of the information out there you start to see a different picture painted. When one of the youtubers who owns a 2019 ZR1 manual car is able to pull a 10.9 stock and on stock tires with time to improve it should make one think.
doc7000 is offline   Reply With Quote