View Single Post
Old 12-30-2020, 03:13 PM   #12
zaimer

Drives: 23 ZL1 6speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by joekd View Post
This is my worst story and one I will never forget. Pretty long but worth the read.

Years ago had a trans am, rear end was recently built up and the way the posi clutches were done was pretty close to a full locker.

This was back when I was young and poor so I drove my cars year round here in New England. This day there was a light covering of snow on the roads, the kind of stuff where everyone into cars thinks they are a drifter.

Anyway, had some friends following me in their own car, got on a road that was 2 lane dead straight so I couldn't resist, was wide open in 1-3 gears completely sideways, like taking up both lanes sideways. Went over a manhole cover that due to the heat running through the pipes below wasn't frozen. One wheel on dry, one on snow = uncontrollable spin. Guys behind me said at one point there was only one tire touching the ground while still in the air spinning and that one was lifting too.

Car was close to the curb and just about to roll over (t-top car so not much protection there) when I hit some guys mailbox who (fortunately) believed in total overkill and used a solid piece of I beam as a mailbox post. Hit it, car stopped spinning instantly and was back on the ground.

Only damage to the car was a fender (where it met the I beam) and front splitter tore off. I consider myself damn lucky that mailbox was there. Later that day I knocked on his door and thanked him for his choice of post and offered to pay for a new box. He had already picked it up and bolted it back on and said everything was fine.
I would say you got VERY lucky
zaimer is offline   Reply With Quote