View Single Post
Old 09-07-2018, 01:08 PM   #176
MackSteelPrivateEye
Banned

Drives: 6 on the Flo' Super Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
The big cars were fine for their smoothness since you're not going to put them on a track or in a slalom. It was the muscle cars that had lots of power but no handling at the time. No one is going to try to put a Chrysler Imperial or Cadillac Fleetwood on a track. But even the best heavy duty suspension Camaros and Corvettes of the time would fall way behind compared to the modern day Hellcat on a track.

Even with front disc/rear drum or the large, heavy duty all wheel drum brakes would end up mush after about 5 minutes on the track compared to the 4 wheel Brembos on the Hellcat which start working BETTER the hotter they get.

I think the guy I was replying to was insinuating the Hellcat was more power than it's chassis could bear. I merely pointed out that old muscle cars had power but the technology for braking and handling hadn't been developed, at least on a production car scale, for a long time and wouldn't be available in mass produced cars for another 30 years.

Of course so much of it comes down to computers and electronics now not avail. 50 years ago.
MackSteelPrivateEye is offline   Reply With Quote