View Single Post
Old 09-05-2021, 01:14 PM   #83
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by nferr View Post
Seems like it's just a bad design on how the rear window is bonded. The window isn't really under the seam at all. Just the glue holding it there. I can't believe they haven't changed the design since 2016. It's not all decent time either, my window was over 50% popped out in 15 months time. One Connecticut winter.
It’s probably cheaper to keep the existing design and replace a few tops than to redesign and re-tool. And of course there’s a guarantee of repeat business, not under warrantee. I look at the design, and as you note, the glass sits in a groove, installed from the exterior and is glued into place, which seems counterintuitive to me. With wind pressure / door closing pressure, the glass is going to want to pull away from the sealant. Combine that with variables such as UV, temperature and vibration, I just don’t see the logic of the design. As I said previously, what do I know?

On the same note, my car is garaged 99% of the time, drive top down 99% of the time, and almost never open the windows while top is up and driving. If the sealant fails on mine, I won’t be a happy camper.
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote