View Single Post
Old 06-24-2017, 06:40 AM   #259
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repman View Post
I think the tires and size used used ON the 1LE make the largest difference in that 13 second improvement . they are a full R compound going against a extreme performance street tire not apples to apples. this has always been a bit misleading to me. slap a set of race rubber on the regular ZL1 and I think the times would be much closer. the downforce and weight savings are definite pluses depending on the track more or less so. I look forward to seeing how my regular ZL1 stacks up against the new 1LE in the near future on track. I know that they also use different ( non Magnetic) adjustable dampers and sway bar and camber plates will be an interesting comparison for me.
I think the aero and adjustable suspension also play a big roll for two reasons.

The lighter Z06 w/Z07 is overwhelmed by the LT4's power and many reviews say it's nearly undrivable at the limit. After the ACRs extreme aero, Chevy is responding with the ZR1 and ZL1-1LE.

Second is the Ring press release and comments by Bill Wise. This was his 125th lap in the ZL1-1LE as they worked to tune the car. "With chassis adjustability unlike any vehicle in its peer group" is Al's opening quote followed by "To make up more than a second per mile on the Nordschleife compared to the ZL1 automatic is a dramatic improvement and speaks to the 1LE's enhanced track features."

Tires alone didn't transform the Viper into the king track car...ACR nor the Z06 Z07. Tires alone won't transform your base ZL1.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote