View Single Post
Old 12-05-2023, 09:25 AM   #40
fj5gtx

Drives: 70 GTX, 06 Mustang, 22 Camaro LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayKinStL View Post
So I follow this community as well as the reddit Camaro community. Been seeing a lot of posts lately about new Camaros (23 and 24s) being stolen. In every thread the idea of a kill switch seems to come up. Just curious about the thoughts on that around here? Do you use one?

I see a lot of people talk highly about Ravelco, but looking at their site, I can't seem to find any local seller/installer that I could get more info from on pricing and timing. I live in the Saint Louis area.

But yea, just want to start a conversation about car security and for those of us unlucky enough to have garages, what is being done, if anything, to extra insure the security of your vehicle.
Aftermarket car security hasn't really changed much for decades. Anything that the thief isn't expecting (not factory) will help stop the theft. "Layering" your security works best. Somehow advertising that its not going to be a factory setup might cause smarter thieves to pick easier prey.

As has been well documented on the internet, OnStar is easily disabled. The latest keyless locking systems are easily compromised by repeater style tech. The factory alarm is of no consequence to shocks or change in tilting.

If you want to protect your wheels from disappearing, a locking lugnut or two per wheel and a shock sensor added to your factory alarm trigger will likely deter.

If you want your alarm to sound if they start towing the car, wire a tilt sensor into your factory alarm trigger. The alarm won't stop them, but will alert you to the fact that its happening and you can pick your mitigation more timely.

If you want your alarm to sound if they smash your glass, get a glass break detector and wire that into your factory alarm trigger.

If you want to defeat the repeater style tech, put your keys in a faraday cage type device so that its signal cannot be picked up.

If you want to make it difficult for them to operate your car if they do get by the factory systems, you can install disconnects in fuel pump, starter, and ignition systems. This can be done many ways, from simply removing fuses, to cutting/splicing your harness to install switches. The types of switches you can use vary greatly from cheap mechanical pole switch to a frequency controlled switching relay.

You can DIY this stuff on the cheap, or go to an auto security shop and have them do their thing to the greatest extent of your budget. There are expensive gps systems you can add that enable geofence configurations and cell phone alerts for a monthly stipend. Sky is the limit on this stuff, and none of it is really brand new tech.