View Single Post
Old 07-20-2019, 08:41 PM   #15
RenegadeXR

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarFan View Post
It's becoming a bit more clear why GM either has the Camaro on hiatus, delayed or dropped after 2023. With the C8 priced right in the ZL1, GT350/500, Hellcat range and yet offers something well above any of their performance capabilities, it's going to pull in a lot of those current owners/shoppers. And that's before the C8 gets into performance models and electric hybrid that is certain to come.
You hit the nail on the head.

GM is throwing down a major wildcard to stir up the entire market. So much so that it will inevitably cannibalize Camaro sales, granted the price difference between a 2SS and base C8 will actually not be that much. There will definitely be some people defecting from Corvette to Camaro, but I don't think it will be nearly as much defecting from Camaro to Corvette. For that matter, I think people will also throw any semblance of "brand loyalty" out the window if they were in the market for the pricier Challenger and Mustang trims.

If I were GM, I'd fully agree that now is a good time to halt plans for a 7th gen Camaro if nothing else to see what the market does. Meanwhile, Mustang is now in a totally different predicament because Ford's next car up is the GT which is a limited production vehicle easily costing 10x the price of even the performance trims, and as such, it makes total sense for Ford to continue selling and developing it.