View Single Post
Old 05-19-2020, 11:09 PM   #11
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
So I've got to say, I'm surprised at all the hate for ceramic coatings...

Here's my story...

Ordered a brand new 2020 2SS (Shadow Gray Metallic) and took delivery in January... Spent a couple weeks researching things and trying to figure out what is best for the most expensive car I've ever bought...

I ended up ordering a BUNCH of stuff from Adam's Polishes including a polisher, ceramic coating kit, soaps, washing pads, etc... North of $600 of stuff (the polisher isn't cheap!)

I ended up chickening out on doing the Camaro (I grew up in a Body Shop using an old buffer and such and did my share of burning through the clear) so wasn't about to put a "buffer" on my new baby... Took it to a local, highly rated "auto spa" and had them do clay, polish and CeramicPro coating... In addition I had them do a bunch of PPF and window tint as well...

So now I had all this product I bought that I wasn't going to use on my Camaro... We have 4 other "family cars" in the household (My DD, My wife's car and my 2 daughter's cars)... My DD is a 2012 Sonata, my wife's car is a 2016 Sonata, my oldest daughter's car is a 2019 Elantra and my youngest daughter's car is a 2007 Santa Fe (we didn't ceramic coat but did everything else)... I decided to give it a go on these cars with all the stuff I bought... So the 2016 Sonata was first... Wash, clay bar, compound, polish, IPA wipe down, ceramic coat (Adam's 9h) and then 24 hours later, a top coat of Adam's Ceramic Boost... This car is garage kept and came out fantastic... (See the red car pictures below...)

Next car, my daughter's silver 2019 Elantra... Same process, wash, clay, compound, polish, ceramic coat (Adam's 9h) and then 24 hours later, a top coat of Adam's Ceramic Boost... This car lives outside, we get a lot of dust (as well as extra dust from the neighbor's gardener who loves to blow crap around every week!)... In addition, we live in an area where we get a LOT of coastal fog or even light sprinkles (on top of the dust/dirt on the car)... This car get's washed maybe every 2 weeks or so and is rather dirty and spotted by that time, however with a proper 2 bucket wash it comes out looking fantastic with NO water spotting whatsoever... Even when it has rained on it and the water sits on it for hours or days...

Third car, my DD 2012 Pacific Blue Pearl Sonata... Same process, wash, clay, compound, polish, ceramic coat (Adam's 9h) and then 24 hours later, a top coat of Adam's Ceramic Boost... This car lives outside, we get a lot of dust (as well as extra dust from the neighbor's gardener who loves to blow crap around every week!)... In addition, we live in an area where we get a LOT of coastal fog or even light sprinkles (on top of the dust/dirt on the car)... This car get's washed maybe every 2 weeks or so and is rather dirty and spotted by that time, however with foam cannon pre-wash and then a proper 2 bucket wash it comes out looking fantastic with NO water spotting whatsoever... Even when it has rained on it and the water sits on it for hours or days...

I'm just not seeing the nasty water spotting people talk about... My Camaro is a garage queen, it won't see rain for quite a long time, but the 3 other cars I ceramic coated, 2 live outside full time and it has been a few months and they both still look great after a wash (I just washed my 2012 Blue Sonata this evening and it came out great and it was filthy with dirt that had been rained on)...

Wife's 2016 Sonata (Garage kept), this is after the ceramic coating (4 years old, 25,000 miles):

My 2012 Sonata (outside car) after the ceramic coating (8.5 years old, 85,000 miles):

Daughter's 2019 Elantra (1 year old, 9,000 miles):

My youngest Daughter's 2007 Santa Fe (14 years old, 138,000 miles):

These were the first 4 cars that I've ever done any type of paint correction or ceramic coating on... Hell, I had never even clay barred a car before this recent project...

I just don't get all the hate on ceramic coating, I'm very happy with it so far, I hated waxing my cars, I think this ceramic coating will be better protection with less work in the long run...
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...

Last edited by 2SS Capt; 05-19-2020 at 11:32 PM.
2SS Capt is offline   Reply With Quote