View Single Post
Old 12-05-2023, 09:50 AM   #41
Deacon Blues

Drives: 2024 Camaro 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
I do use this battery disconnect, but for parasitic drain, not anti-theft. It does however have the advantage that the car is completely unpowered and thus invisible to drive by RF scanners, onstar spying, etc. This one is not practical for use outside of a garage because with the convertible, the trunk needs to stay ajar to avoid lockout & door handle gymnastics.

But there are other ways to mount a more practical and elegant kill switch that's accessible outside the car, something like this. Most race-rated switches will have at least 4 posts (2 for power mains, 2 for spark/ECU/whatever-signal-you-want interrupt, etc.).

Have been thinking about this exact thing. I have the battery out of the car anyways since it is tucked away for the winter (here in the northeast). Maybe I'll install one of these when the battery goes back in for springtime. The only thing is, in theory, wouldn't one of the screw-top disconnects work better since you could take that with you? With this model, they'd just have to pop the trunk and flip the switch.

My only concern is that I've heard both the late model Camaro and Corvettes can be finicky about battery and the relearn process can cause rough starts during the relearn period, but maybe that's just anecdotal and exaggerated?
Deacon Blues is offline   Reply With Quote