View Single Post
Old 10-21-2018, 01:05 PM   #27

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whocares05050 View Post
Keep in mind "trade in value" is not market value. Most dealers try to mark up trade in's 5k and put them on the lot. My 2018 SS 1LE had an MSRP of 47k and I got it for 38k. I am sure with only 400 miles that the "trade in value" is somewhere near 33k. Sports cars depreciate. That;s what they do. I wouldnt worry about it until you ARE ready to part ways with it. Until then, enjoy the ride....

Oh, and if you think the camaro depreciates, you would HATE owning a mercedes... My Benz was 68K and after 2 years only got 26k for it....but I also think non-v8 "pony cars" may take a slightly bigger hit.

I agree....What makes it worse is that private party sales have a tough time competing with dealer trade-ins....Most buyers do not have the cash and cannot get the financing for a good used car in the 20-30K range....Rarely does anyone save that kind of money anymore for a used car....The dealers offer the financing and the dealer-speak monthly payment and trade-in "value"....It's a vicious cycle that is hard to break out of for many...And the trade-in price skews the "value" of the car depending on all the other variables the customer is "negotiating" with the dealer....

Basically, though, it's not that hard to figure out....If you are going to unload the car you just bought new one or two years ago, you will take a bath on the over-all cost. Been happening for decades and decades...

...Nothing new to see here as far as depreciation....lol...
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote