Thread: Gas Guzzler Tax
View Single Post
Old 04-23-2019, 08:27 AM   #12
Dave-ROR

Drives: A few
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tajefe Couple View Post
I think the mpg requirement was slowly increased until a certain year. Perhaps that's why my other cars fell under the criteria. IDK but when validating your point think I saw something to that affect. Not certain about years and requirements but perhaps had something to do with it. Did also come across that about EPA mpg being determined independently of the manufacturer claims like you said. Help me out if I got any of this wrong as I've had my fill of looking up the GG tax Lol.
Yeah I think it was 1991 for the last adjustment to the MPG so your cars would have qualified. I was looking at new Trans Ams in the ~mid 90s and was surprised that they didn't get hit with it. I don't recall what they were calculated at but it must have been higher than 22.5 with the modified EPA calculation. That's all 6 speeds though, I have no idea about the automatic cars and what they got for fuel eco. GM may have gone to a really tall rear gear to get it to pass or something - at that price point a GG tax would have been an issue for buyers IMO.
HPDE/DD: 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE || HPDE/DD: 2015 Subaru BRZ ||Tow Vehicle: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 8.1L || Weekend toy: 1994 MR2 Turbo || The other weekend toy: 1993 MR2 Turbo || Track car: 1998 Integra Type-R || Race car: 1996 Integra GS-R || New race car build: 1992 Honda Civic Hatchback

Too many cars.. never.
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote