Thread: Gas Guzzler Tax
View Single Post
Old 04-22-2019, 06:15 PM   #10
Dave-ROR

Drives: A few
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tajefe Couple View Post
So guess I was stating an incorrect fact about paying the tax due to my GTO being imported. My excuses lol-

I discussed the tax with the dealer and was told it was due to it being imported. I had purchased new vehicles with worse mileage before this and never paid the tax so for sure wanted to know why. Cars included a 1993 1/2 Formula, and '98 Trans Am, also a couple of SUV's. I had remembered foreign car companies being in the news and upset about the changes that seemed to target them. So I took the dealers word because they never make something up to just sell a car I'm certain. Suppose should have done more research. Up until now had never given it another thought unless complaining about taxes. If my information is correct now vehicles like SUV's, trucks, 4x4's, and others where excluded from the tax. I think it had been almost a decade since anything but the Viper owners had paid the tax when I purchased the Goat. The big 3 where also more adept to avoiding the tax for consumers, such as standard transmission vehicles having a higher mpg rating and avoiding it. Kind of like my 2012 2LS having 2:92 gears so Camaro could claim 30+mpg to compete with the Mustang. I had heard.
I still haven't done much research on any of this and probably won't so feel free to correct me as this post is already about 10 minutes of my life I won't get back.

So in short I blame misinformation and fake news. Lol

The point being I was wrong about why I paid a tax in my passing statement to all those who are sticklers for what occurred when I bought my GTO in 2006 sorry for posting incorrect information. Guess in the instance no redaction allowed.

Suppose my take away is in life much like when I owned or managed bars believe 1/2 of what you see and none of what you hear, and get the facts from reputable sources!
For those earlier F Bodies, the EPA combined (which isn't actually the combined on the window sticker itself cause.. uhmm.. who knows) was just above the GG cutoff back then. Those tall top gears were used for a reason
HPDE/DD: 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE || HPDE/DD: 2015 Subaru BRZ ||Tow Vehicle: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 8.1L || Weekend toy: 1994 MR2 Turbo || The other weekend toy: 1993 MR2 Turbo || Track car: 1998 Integra Type-R || Race car: 1996 Integra GS-R || New race car build: 1992 Honda Civic Hatchback

Too many cars.. never.
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote