View Single Post
Old 11-23-2020, 02:58 PM   #7893
Idaho2018GTPremium

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by L78toLT1 View Post
After doing a little research, I'm convinced this would be a drivers race. Car and Driver ran 11.4 / 132. I trapped basically the same in what had to be worse conditions. My only 1/4 mile passes in this car were at Camarofest X in what felt like 100 degree heat. If I start at 60 - 70 in 3rd gear, I will probably hook. No lift shift to 4th and I'm thinking I may pull him a bit until the top of 4th. With the big jump from 4th to 5th in the SS m6, if we don't run out of road, he may catch me. Either way, it should be close
I think it would be a very close race against a stock GT500 - and likely the winner will be:

1) Whoever gets the initial hit (since it's difficult to start at the same time in a roll race) if both start at optimum speed and have traction, or
2) Depends on optimization of starting speed relative to gear selection:

Regarding #2 above, my car (light bolt on 2018 A10 GT PP1 with some weight reduction) has optimal rolling start ranges. 35-40 mph is great for 2nd gear (assuming warm tires), and 50-55 mph is great for 3rd. However, 45 mph might be a bit too fast for 2nd (2nd to 3rd happens at ~55 mph), and a tad too slow for 3rd gear to get the most optimal hit.

The C&D 132 mph trap speed is an average of two different runs in the opposite direction (so one direction may have been 133 mph with the other 131 mph, depending on wind), and corrected to standard conditions, per C&D:
"All of our straight-line acceleration results are the average of the best run in opposite directions, to account for wind. Ambient weather conditions—we record absolute barometric pressure and wet- and dry-bulb temperatures trackside—determine how much power an engine makes. Because of that, we also correct acceleration results to 60 degrees Fahrenheit at sea level. Cooler air is denser and contains more oxygen, allowing the engine to burn more fuel and make more power. Similarly, high barometric pressure produces more power than low pressure, and dry air has more oxygen than moist air."

They do the two-way average and standard conditions correction to allow for a bit more apples to apples comparisons between cars tested in different conditions.

That said - your 133 mph trap speed would be higher at standard conditions if it was hot out and above sea level when you ran. But if that run was with the wind that could offset some of the improvement seen by the standard corrections. Good trap speed, none-the-less!

Past:
2018 Mustang GT Premium w/ PP1, MR, and A10
2007 MazdaSpeed3
1995 Pontiac Trans Am
1987 Camaro Z28

Idaho2018GTPremium is offline   Reply With Quote